Found Gene Autrys gun

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Gene Autry's gun

Got out to the woods today with Pennyworth and found this Buzz Henry Gene Autry model made from 1950-1960. It is minus a few features by now. Shown also are shotgun shells from Winchester and Peters Victory (whatever that is) and 1935 and 1942 wheats. I know some people have pulled silver out of that area- it's never me. :'(

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 424
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Gene Autry's gun

nice Finds !

The Silver will come, Just Keep at it & work slow :)

Happy Hunting.

Jeff

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Nice finds...I agree..The silver will come ..with you and Pennyworth working as a team...its bound to be found!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Very nice finds Mudslide. I know a fellow who found that same gun and his was in great shape. Can you believe he threw it away?

To me a find like your gun would be worth far more than an average silver coin.

Silver is not easy to locate today. Years ago one could find a dozen silver coins in one mornings hunt (using a TR detector). The most lost silver coin is the dime and they require a very slow search pattern. Most THers miss them because they hunt too fast and wild.

Contrary to all the exaggerated reports of depth today (full of beans), even the top machines can barely detect a LOST dime at 5 inches. I'm not talking coin garden now, I mean actual in field conditions, which are totally different. Many coins still out there are on edge or on some angle.

I use the Tesoro detectors and from the reports on the Tesoro forums you'd think this machine could detect a dime 8 miles deep...LOL! ;D Nuff said.

Here's a hint: In the top lineup of VLF machines--well, you seen one you pretty much seen them all. The thing that makes for a great detector today is NOT depth...it's target separation. Most finds are less than 5 inches but they're mixed in with surface trash.

Hunt very very slowly and listen for those barely audible non-ferrous signals. If you get multiple signals within a small area, left your coil and try to check each signal. Many silver coins are masked by trash. Meters often miss-read small silver at the extreme limits of depth or they give a false reading due to the presence of trash near the target. Listen for those mellow soft tones. Silver coin hunting is still primarily a sound hunting technique. You can't trust meters.

HH

OP
OP
Mudslide

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THank you for all of the tips, Badger. I will keep at it!

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Like the gun, keep swingin that coil and the good finds will come, the only way you can guarentee that you won't find them is to quit lookin so as they say HH and thanks for sharing your finds... :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Grip's look to be in great shape there MS,can you pivot the rest of the gun or is it frozen up?I'd try and work on cleaning that up just for the engraving feature's,look's like they're still there.Congrat's on your find's and good luck!!

mylady8882

Greenie
Jul 12, 2005

I found a Gene Autry gun also. Yours is in better condition than mine. good job HH

Attachments

• MVC-344S.JPG
    MVC-344S.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 225
  • MVC-343S.JPG
    MVC-343S.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 231
  • MVC-342S.JPG
    MVC-342S.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 236

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mudslide,

Very nice finds. WTG!!

HH ;)
RR

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NIce find, love the pistol. You need to come to Kenton Ohio and see where they
were made. They have a great museum with lots of them in it.

I'll have to say if your looking for silver dimes, you must listen to the very deep coin signals
and use a headset. I'm using a ACE 250 and some of the signals are good but they bounce
around, but still sound good and when I pinpoint them they are coming in at around 6 inches
deep. YOu know what I dig every signal at 4,5 or 6 inches deep. An old timer once told me
to dig all the signals. I think he's right, in a good location, where there isn't a lot of junk, I dig
every signal that sounds good or sometimes iffy.

HH, and hope you find that Silver coin. Ringfinder

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Mudslide, I told you that gun was a GREAT find! I LOVE it! You are persistent and know how to operate your Minelab;this will lead you to the silver! :) Don't forget to bring it to the club tomorrow, I smell a winner. ;D

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Blast from the past....Great, Hope you find some silver soon! Try those odd areas! Good Luck!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love that GA Mud! Keep going! You'll find that silver too!

Nana ;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!

hh

lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread