Found in my pasture..?

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I found this unusually round rock in my pasture and I'm curious if it could be anything? It was found in an old (modern) firepit which accounts for the dark color. I have found really good artifacts on my property before. I am sorting through my finds and I'm not sure to keep it or pitch it. Thanks
20170323_101728.jpg 20170323_101927.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any evidence of it ever being altered by man so it's most likely just a natural round rock.

Now, that said, it may have been carried in to the camp but just never utilized. I have several Ft Ancient sites I hunted for year where we would find these almost perfectly round stones that showed no use at all. We surmised they were brought in to make Discoidals out of. They already had the right shape so all they had to do was flatten the sides and engrave, drill, and polish and they were done. They are still not artifacts though since they were never used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I don't see any evidence of it ever being altered by man so it's most likely just a natural round rock.

Now, that said, it may have been carried in to the camp but just utilized. I have several Ft Ancient sites I hunted for year where we would find these almost perfectly round stones that showed no use at all. We surmised they were brought in to make Discoidals out of. They already had the right shape so all they had to do was flatten the sides and engrave, drill, and polish and they were done. They are still not artifacts though since they were never used.

I was thinking it could be an unfinished piece. It's hard to see in the picture, but it does look to me on close inspection that the edge has had something done to create shape I have found a grinding stone or discoidal
in my driveway. 20170323_121750.jpg 20170323_121724.jpg

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I just wanted to make sure I was clear. I am not arguing your point, but just showing you why I thought the rock was worked. I really do appreciate your words of wisdom Grim. Thank you very much.

GB Paleo

Feb 10, 2017
Out West in the Great Basin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The driveway rock clearly shows the grinding that Grim was looking for on the other piece. From the pictures, the first rock does not display that. Out west, we would call the driveway rock a Mano.

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Thank you. I've been told by someone who used to live here that there used to be a metate out by the old barn, but I've yet to find it. If it even exists, and if it does I hope to find it someday.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of those who knows items:icon_scratch:, I would put it in the rock pile that you keep and not just throw it away.:icon_thumleft:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you can see the difference, these are Stone Discs. See how the sides are ground flat and the pecking and grinding marks you can see on them? That is what you need to look for on your and I don't see any evidence of that in your pictures.

These are all personal finds from the same site and I find stones just like yours all over this site that were brought in and never used. The one in the last three pictures shows the process very well. You can how the centers on both sides was pecked out and you see the polish around the outer edges and the outer edge. They also had started to engrave this one. These are made of Sandstone, Pottery, and Granite.

Attachments

• DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Feurt Site Collection (25).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (25).jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Feurt Site Collection (6).jpg
    Feurt Site Collection (6).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Thank you Grim for sharing those pictures. I am here to learn. I am fascinated with NA artfacts. When I was little I was that kid who had a box full of pretty rocks.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice arrow straightener in there bud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread