TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tehurtt24, the "thumbnail bar" (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of your first photo shows that you showed us only one of the object's two sides. Instead, we got three views of the same side -- with your thumb-tip fitting neatly into in the bowl-shaped depression. (More about that depression in the next paragraph.)

BTW, even without seeing its missing other side, I do not believe your find is "just a rock." I see distinct "flaking" along some of its edges, like the "flaking" on the edge of arrowheads. Archeologists' lingo for that is, the stone has been "worked" by human hands, not mere Nature. Also, the bowl-shaped depression is perfect for getting and keeping a good grip on a Native-American "hide-scraper" or "cutter" type of tool. That is why SOME (but not all) of its edges have been flaked/worked into a cutting edge or scaring edge.

Another BTW:
I see that that's your very first post. Welcome to TreasureNet and its "What-Is-It?" forum, the best place on the internet for getting unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)

Upvote 2

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NA's didn't make thumb or finger depressions & the material is much to soft to have been utilized as a cutting/scraping tool. JMHO

Last edited:
Upvote 0

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just looks like a river rock to me. Extremely common around here.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T

tehurtt24

May 18, 2024
Tehurtt24, the "thumbnail bar" (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of your first photo shows that you showed us only one of the object's two sides. Instead, we got three views of the same side -- with your thumb-tip fitting neatly into in the bowl-shaped depression. (More about that depression in the next paragraph.)

BTW, even without seeing its missing other side, I do not believe your find is "just a rock." I see distinct "flaking" along some of its edges, like the "flaking" on the edge of arrowheads. Archeologists' lingo for that is, the stone has been "worked" by human hands, not mere Nature. Also, the bowl-shaped depression is perfect for getting and keeping a good grip on a Native-American "hide-scraper" or "cutter" type of tool. That is why SOME (but not all) of its edges have been flaked/worked into a cutting edge or scaring edge.

Another BTW:
I see that that's your very first post. Welcome to TreasureNet and its "What-Is-It?" forum, the best place on the internet for getting unknown objects CORRECTLY identified. :)
Here is the other side. Thank you for your information.
image.jpg

Upvote 2

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unclemac wrote:
> Yes, natural. The reverse side gives that away. But the flaking does mimic purpose well.

Unclemac, thank you for saying EXACTLY what I was going to say, in response to the finder posting the missing photo of the object's "other side."

The flaking had me thinking the object was a natural stone which had been "purposefully altered" by human hands to make a tool. Note, I did not say that the depression in the center of one side was a human alteration... even though it certainly is conveniently located for using the object as a tool.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions