Found in swamp/creek Civil War Remains of Cannon pit/parts and possible ship debris.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally was able to locate a Cannon Pit with stonewall/brick (most of the brick with "Savage" on them) This was deep into the swamp edge which is a 2 hour hike mostly in swamp land, only accessible in winter, or by boat which you must go into creeks then into the swamp about 50 yards. There was plenty of iron parts laying around and the wall foundation is falling apart from 150 years, I also found possible ship debris about 15 yards from the pit. This was a area the union put prisoners,etc in.

I have created a page to show the finds with pictures and video from the site itself.

the page is http://www.facebook.com/CannonPit

I could use help IDing some of this stuff, i have never seen any iron cannon parts or even begin to ID the large debris that looks like it was off a boat/ship.

Also the only reason i knew this was back there because the property owner who is 85 years old told me in the 70s he had it surveyed and was told about a possible cannon pit, so I decided too spend 3 days looking for it in the swamp and creek.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I saw was some flat metal with rivet holes, That one round piece that might be some kind of wheel or more likely some other mech.piece and the lenght of pipe with the threaded end. The long rod with the nuts and washers on one end could of been just about anything.......I feel like it's more likely parts of some small boat or ship. imho................Cool finds for sure..............................HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't click on facebook links, if you post on here, you may get a better response.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey alright would like to see.but I ain't got no Facebook do hicky.maybe some pics for us here.

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!! the facebook page is just a Page not a personal page, the link www.facebook.com/cannonpit will come up without having an account so you can see everything! Finding out this could be a possible Smoke Stack off a ship. Will let you know the outcome.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!! the facebook page is just a Page not a personal page, the link www.facebook.com/cannonpit will come up without having an account so you can see everything! Finding out this could be a possible Smoke Stack off a ship. Will let you know the outcome.

Lets try again, I don't click on any links.

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry too many pictures and videos, will try and post pictures tomorrow... So Let's TRY again indeed!

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[video=facebook;420678211334181]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=420678211334181&set=vb.420670428001626&type=2&theater[/video]

Here is the video of possible smoke stack!

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really tell what the "smoke stack" is made of but if it is iron, for sure, it hasn't laid out in the open in a coastal or river area since the CW and be in that good of condition. Possible that it is the smoke stack of a portable steam engine used in logging or farming.

The stone foundations look old. You don't say what part of the country you are in so it's hard to say how old it may be.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from your pic, To me it looks like a steam boiler barrel used on all kinds of equipment from Tractors to boats and every thing in between. Dig it out it may have a manufacture's plate if complete? HH
Broken Knee

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 431
  • boiler plate.jpg
    boiler plate.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread