Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

Monday morning Cotton and I hit Clearwater beach. Not finding much I decided to go out to chest deep water. I found a 10 Rupee coin from India, a little bit of clad, and the last signal almost gave me a heart attack. I pulled up the scoop and saw this huge gold earring with Princess written in the middle. Quickly I realized it was junk.

Right after putting the earring in my pouch I started moving towards shallower water. I was at the far south side of Clearwater Beach, right near the rocks but well within the markers about 30 feet from shore. Looking out where I had just been standing minutes before I saw a flounder jump out of the water. I had never seen a flounder jump in my life. So thinking it was a little strange I continued to watch. Five or six seconds later I saw it jump again, but this time a long narrow 18 inch or longer fin came up behind it, really fast. I saw another fin about 6 feet behind the front one. I thought at first there were two sharks but quickly realized that it was just one monster hammerhead shark. I estimated the length to be somewhere between 12 and 14 feet long. The body was as big around as a barrel. It was splashing water all around trying to get that fish, all of this happening not even 15 feet from me. For those familiar with Clearwater Beach, it all happened inside the public beach area between the shore and those wood markers that hold the rope that says danger strong currents.....anyway I just about walked on the water to get out of there. There were about 20 people on shore, some with small children in the water, and the funny thing is none of them saw it. It makes one wonder about all the stuff that happends right in front of us that we never even see.

I'll post some pictures of my "valuable" finds tomorrow. Sorry I don't have pictures of the shark....maybe next time :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Monday:coin from India, big Gold plated earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead

Oh and for those that wanted to see pictures of the garbage I mean the treasure that I found. The first is the group shot. The second picture has the Princess "gold" earring and the coin from India.

HH to all and good luck. Don't let the jelly fish out in the gulf get the best of you. :tongue3:

Attachments

• PICT0060a.JPG
    PICT0060a.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 418
  • PICT0056a.JPG
    PICT0056a.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 423

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

type in "hector the hammerhead "-- out in lonely diego garica, biot -- was where that huge beast lived a JAWS sized --huge hammerhead --estimated length was 25 to 30 ft -- I saw him only once (sadly I had no camera )-- he was at least as long as the ships lifeboat that we were fishing from at the time ( about 25 feet long) since when he cruised by he was as long as it was. ---the "struggling" 40 / 50 lb dog snapper we were reeling in must have attracted him.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

ok, showing my ignorance here. didn't know there were hammerheads in FL. they are suppose to be agresive. glad he didnt have you for lunch, but he might have been pretty good on the grill w/ a bit of lemon & garlic.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mamabear said:
ok, showing my ignorance here. didn't know there were hammerheads in FL. they are suppose to be agresive. glad he didnt have you for lunch, but he might have been pretty good on the grill w/ a bit of lemon & garlic.

Until a few years ago I didn't know they were out there either in the gulf so close to shore. I knew there were plenty of the ones that are called bonnet heads (they are a type of hammerhead from what I've read about them), but I never saw one over 2 feet long.

Do a search in youtube and you will be surprised at the little ones that they capture right off of land in Florida. There is one video where they pull up one fishing from the beach. If I remember right he was about 7 feet long.

A few years ago, I believe it was in Florida Sportsman Magazine, there was a group that caught a 5 or 6 foot Great White off of Anclote Island in Tarpon Springs, Florida. I was under the impression that they were in the Pacific, Northern Atlantic, off of Africa, and Australia....but not in Florida :icon_scratch:.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
type in "hector the hammerhead "-- out in lonely diego garica, biot -- was where that huge beast lived a JAWS sized --huge hammerhead --estimated length was 25 to 30 ft -- I saw him only once (sadly I had no camera )-- he was at least as long as the ships lifeboat that we were fishing from at the time ( about 25 feet long) since when he cruised by he was as long as it was. ---the "struggling" 40 / 50 lb dog snapper we were reeling in must have attracted him.

Wow Ivan!!!! I just found a site for baby Hector.

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/hector.html

HH

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away

I hunt is chest deep water at night. Thanks for the comforting and encouragement.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

mama bear --up near fernandina , florida (my neck o da woods) is a major breeding ground area for hammerheads ;D

buts its the bull sharks that are the really dangerous ones to watch out for --they run in shallow water often poor visiblity water -- they are big and are highly agressive to boot --often their the "biter" in florida shark attacks

JP hector was a cute lil bugger huh?-- that photo was taken earlier than my seeing him in person, by the way and yes the size and scale are correct ---its not a "faked" photo by any means . biggest frickin shark I ever saw "in the flesh" --- and thats with 27 years as a merchant seaman traveling all over the world

remember anytime a human enters the ocean--- rule #1 --your not #1 (on the top of the food chain) anymore so act accordingly .

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
better him eat the flounder than him eat you !! :thumbsup:
I have to agree with you 100% :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ringman said:
I hunt is chest deep water at night. Thanks for the comforting and encouragement.
If you knew how many times I've been in that same exact spot where I saw that one....wow. Even Cavedweller was in that same exact spot a few days before. All of these other times I was there before day break, so it's my fault for being there with sunlight.

Ivan, what an interesting shark. I bet you had goose bumps when you saw that thing. But yes, you are correct, we lose our top spot when we are out there. Everytime I've seen a dark shadow in the early morning hours the first thought in my mind was BULLSHARK, but thank you God it always turned out to be a manatee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread