Found my 1st one.....need info ? ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
I found an arrowhead on Saturday the 30th while i was d - tecting I was looking down an it caught my eye
actually i did a double look lol i put it back down grabbed the camera and took a few photos
Saturay night and Sunday was the 1st time i checked out this forum "awesome artifacts" being found :thumbsup:
and some very knowledgeable people on here :thumbsup:
I'm hoping someone can give me a name / type ? and age ? for this specimen ??? is it all there......it looks
to me like the bottom portion might have been longer w/a wider end maybe ? ? i know nuthin about these :(
It was found in the NE tip of Berks County, Penna. it measures 2 1/2 inches long and 13/16 inch wide
thanks for looking an any info is greatly appreciated
Mike
IMG_4477_2.JPG

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4479_2.jpg

Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, It's a Quartz, Newmanstown-Early-Middle Archaic 5000BC approx.

Molly. :)

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Molly said:
Nice find, It's a Quartz, Newmanstown-Early-Middle Archaic 5000BC approx.

Thanks for the reply and the info Molly :thumbsup:
I have 2 questions 1. could you explain Newmanstown to me is that the style of arrowhead or / and a location ?
2. 5000 BC wow !! We did have the French and Indian Wars here in Berks in the 1750's is it
possible it could date as late as the 1750's ?
Mike

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowheads/Spears are named after many things,cultures/counties/ppl/rivers etc. Your spear point was made much earlier than 1750. I guess you could say Late Woodland culture arrows were nearer 1750.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 424
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Molly said:
Arrowheads/Spears are named after many things,cultures/counties/ppl/rivers etc. Your spear point was made much earlier than 1750. I guess you could say Late Woodland culture arrows were nearer 1750.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for educating me Molly :thumbsup:
I've been de - tecting for 13 yrs. now and i was always hoping i'd find an arrowhead and there it was laying
right on top of the ground thats " definately " my oldest find so far and i found it with my eyes i'm smiling :D
i'll will be checking this forum out a lot more now because i surely do have a lot to learn about these relics

Mike HH

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
2. 5000 BC wow !! We did have the French and Indian Wars here in Berks in the 1750's is it

That's a nice point, especially for a first find.

When I tell people how old my arrowheads are their mind boggles. Actually, often the reaction is disbelief. People generally have a fixation on the historic period, after the Europeans arrived - cowboys and Indians, wars involving recent immigrants, etc. Hollywood has a lot to do with that.

Once you give the subject some serious thought though, it becomes clear that Indian artifacts are generally going to be much older because Native Americans were here over 10,000 years before the Europeans arrived. Imagine all the stone stuff that was left in the more than 10,000 compared to the few hundred years when we began recording history.

I think that Native Americans had, for the most part, began moving from stone to metal points and firearms before the 1750's. It didn't take them long to catch on that chipping stone was inferior to metal working.

Like Molly said, I'd go back there and look for more, especially if there is a natural water source nearby, or signs that there once was.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Billco said:

That's a nice point, especially for a first find.

When I tell people how old my arrowheads are their mind boggles. Actually, often the reaction is disbelief. People generally have a fixation on the historic period, after the Europeans arrived - cowboys and Indians, wars involving recent immigrants, etc. Hollywood has a lot to do with that.

Once you give the subject some serious thought though, it becomes clear that Indian artifacts are generally going to be much older because Native Americans were here over 10,000 years before the Europeans arrived. Imagine all the stone stuff that was left in the more than 10,000 compared to the few hundred years when we began recording history.

I think that Native Americans had, for the most part, began moving from stone to metal points and firearms before the 1750's. It didn't take them long to catch on that chipping stone was inferior to metal working.

Like Molly said, I'd go back there and look for more, especially if there is a natural water source nearby, or signs that there once was.
Thanks Billco :) and i agree with you i figured 250 - 500 yrs old but, 5000 yrs. my mind is still bogglin even more so 10,000 yrs. :o i will be returning to this site for sure maybe i can locate a water source,
spring from some satelite photos beings everything is so grown up right now thanks for all the info :thumbsup:

Mike HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet !

now that You got The Eye It will probably Come easier.

I would have walked right over it :(

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
badandy said:
Made real nice for being made from quartz!

badandy
thanks for the reply badandy i would'nt know ? to me it looks crudely done no flaking - like the
ones i'm seeing posted - a lot of "beautiful" craftmanship i'm still wondering if the bottom part is broken off ?
Most of the ones i looked at on here yesterday and today thin out close to the bottom and then widen out at
the end ? i was just on an arrowhead site and learned mine might have a tiny tip nick ? one thing i do
know is........... i wanna learn more since i found this one :)

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jeff of pa said:
Sweet !

now that You got The Eye It will probably Come easier.

I would have walked right over it :(
Thanks Jeff thats what i've always heard once you find one it gets easier i was at the right place at the right time Saturday maybe i oughta get away from the manicured lawns and start searching the plowed fields a
a little more I'm sure you'll find one someday too !!

Mike HH

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
badandy said:

badandy
thanks for the reply badandy i would'nt know ? to me it looks crudely done no flaking - like the
ones i'm seeing posted - a lot of "beautiful" craftmanship i'm still wondering if the bottom part is broken off ?
Most of the ones i looked at on here yesterday and today thin out close to the bottom and then widen out at
the end ? i was just on an arrowhead site and learned mine might have a tiny tip nick ? one thing i do

I wouldn't say it was 'crudely done', its just the way the Quartz was knapped, its not an easy material to work with. Out of about 30 Quartz points, I have 1 that shows flaking. Your point as 3 dings on base,side,tip, but its still a great find. Well done. :thumbsup:

Molly..

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice quartz point! Still on my wish list...

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
05kas05 said:
nice find i to recently found my first one also, you will be hooked for sure now congrats
Thanks 05kas05 and "congradulations" on your first find :thumbsup: it sure is a good feeling to
touch something that old that nobody else touched for all those years :)

Mike HH

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Molly said:
Mike in Berks said:
badandy said:

badandy

I wouldn't say it was 'crudely done', its just the way the Quartz was knapped, its not an easy material to work with. Out of about 30 Quartz points, I have 1 that shows flaking. Your point as 3 dings on base,side,tip, but its still a great find. Well done. :thumbsup:

Molly..
Thanks again Molly !! From all the posts i've been reading your very knowledgable on Indian Relics
and i do appreciate all your help :thumbsup:

Mike HH

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Very nice point! I'm gonna throw another opinion at ya as for a date on this point. Looks more Adena/Hopewell to me, approximately 2,000 yrs old, not archaic (just my opinion). Yours looks very similar to the Adena I have in my first photo. The bottom photo shows 2 archaic examples, notice the "ears" on the base. Now not ALL archaic points will have the basel ears but it's my opinion that your point is from the Adena period which would be pre to very early woodland.

Attachments

• adena point.jpg
    adena point.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 372
  • archaic.jpg
    archaic.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 371
OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Ohio_Doug said:
Very nice point! I'm gonna throw another opinion at ya as for a date on this point. Looks more Adena/Hopewell to me, approximately 2,000 yrs old, not archaic (just my opinion). Yours looks very similar to the Adena I have in my first photo. The bottom photo shows 2 archaic examples, notice the "ears" on the base. Now not ALL archaic points will have the basel ears but it's my opinion that your point is from the Adena period which would be pre to very early woodland.
Thanks Ohio_Doug i appreciate everyones opinion like i said i want to learn more now that i found one
Archaic or Adena/Hopewell now i have 2 names i can learn about :thumbsup: I do know the Delaware - Leni Lenape
indians were in Berks County when the 1st immigrants arrived and i read a previous post by baspinall which has a
photo of framed indian relics :thumbsup: some of which look "very similar in shape" like the one i found :)
all this info gives me something to research :icon_study:

Thanks for the help everyone !! Mike HH

riverhunter

Jun 29, 2008
Mid-Atlantic Coast
Hey-- and welcome!

If you ever get down this way, give me a shout. I find lots of quartz points-- LOTS. Once the Native Americans figured that they didn't really need to trek to a quarry for what they needed for tools, folks used what they had readily available--that being quartz, here in the Mid Atlantic. I have several points that look very much like your's. And no, they don't show flaking very often- depends on the composition of the stone, the 'workability'... You got a very NICE FIND!
Hope you find more and have a blast looking for pointy rocks with fine edges rather than just metal detecting. (no offense D-tectors) The history goes SO much further back!
Happy Hunting-- and again, welcome to the AM Artifacts board!
Riverhunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread