Found my first bell and a little Church.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some finds from the 1700's site. My first bell, and it still rings. Now the church I just love. T church and bell 003.JPG church and bell 006.JPG he owner thinks it is a print type. Letters are backward. It reads: J WALKER M91 Church Alley Philad Christ Church Hat store. It is heavy and pretty big. Brad found the silver today. Fun hunt and beautiful day.
If anyone knows anything about the church, please chime in!

Upvote 12

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome find! I know Brad is proud of his silver, but you have a nice find too! That thing is pretty big, isn't it?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the bell, buckle, and that church is very cool. The heck with deer hunting, lets go hit that baseball field!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats from Christ Church its in Philadelphia..That is were Ben franklin is buried..Its a historic Icon.
Super cool find..

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats from Christ Church its in Philadelphia..That is were Ben franklin is buried..Its a historic Icon.
Super cool find..

Yes, somebody found where James Walker had a hat shop on 2nd and Church alley in 1845. How the heck this got to S. Jersey is a mystery. And the engraving looks like Christ Church itself. I just love it.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Church item is for an old time printing press. Originally, it was attached to a wooden block as was type. The type and the graphic of the church were "set" by a typesetter.

It could be that it was used for the cirrculars that they give out at Sunday Masses.

Nice find if you ask me. :noteworthy:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the bell,The church find is pretty wild-neat.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool find Jersey Girl. Something very unique which is always a welcome find

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Church item is for an old time printing press. Originally, it was attached to a wooden block as was type. The type and the graphic of the church were "set" by a typesetter.

It could be that it was used for the cirrculars that they give out at Sunday Masses.

Nice find if you ask me. :noteworthy:

This was an advertisement , not a church circular. The church was a historic part of the city and was used in the Hat Store promotion as the church was a noteworthy landmark practically next door to the hat store.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely love your church printing plate! Such a wonderful find.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some finds from the 1700's site. My first bell, and it still rings. Now the church I just love. T View attachment 1086720 View attachment 1086721 he owner thinks it is a print type. Letters are backward. It reads: J WALKER M91 Church Alley Philad Christ Church Hat store. It is heavy and pretty big. Brad found the silver today. Fun hunt and beautiful day.
If anyone knows anything about the church, please chime in!
I cleaned it and cannot believe the detail on this piece. church 003.JPG church 004.JPG

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi OldJerseyGirl ,

Your plate is an significant piece deserving of recognition .

More wiki history...

1. THE First Episcopal Church located at Second and Market Street , Philadelphia , Pa.

2. Christ Church's congregation included 15 signers of the Declaration of Independence. American Revolutionary War leaders who attended Christ Church include George Washington, Robert Morris, Benjamin Franklin , his Best friend Aaron Leaming from Cape May County , NJ and Betsy Ross . Impressive Historical icons !

contact Christ Church and watch them flip out . Will they offer you $$ ??? hard to say .

dawg

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine digs, OldJerseyGirl. Love the old printing plate. You should ink it up and try stamping with it. Nice save on a neat relic. Congrats! :thumbsup:

HH

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those cleaned up pix, very intricate piece. CMD Dog might be right, Maybe they might know whose it was?

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Baltimore Museum of Industry has a printing press which uses the wood block Brass plates to print. I had the opportunity to visit it and this old timer was manning the plant and demostrated the whole process; from setting the type to the actual printing on a fully operatonal machine.

http://thebmi.org/exhibitscollections/permanent-collection/

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome church printing plate! It looks like there is still some ink staining on part of it! Very cool!
Love the bell too! I am still looking for one.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Becky, I found a printing plate too, forgot to tell you. Mine was from the 1920-30's I think. It was an advertisement for Buster Brown socks or shoes. I'm thinking yours is much older, very much prettier than mine. That's why this hobby is so much fun, you just never know what is going to pop out of that dirt.

Looks like the rain is going to clear out of that ball field around noon -1:00, lets hit it!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everybody for all the info. and suggestions. I am going to see if I can find where he used it in an ad. Have to go to Historical S. when i have time. Would love to see it in a circular or paper. Will keep you posted if I can find anything in our local paper archives from the 1800's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions