Found my first Buffalo nickle or least half of one

B

BIG61AL

Found this money clip with a Buffalo nickle [denver mint]. The Indian on a horse fell off due to corrosion. I really want to get this coin off the the clip but I don't want to ruin it, I suspect that it was filed flat on the obverse side so it would sit real flat on the clip. I my first thought is to use a heat gun [used to peel off old paint] That should get up to about 200+ degrees. That should melt any epoxy and may melt a low temperature solder. Any Suggestion?

Attachments

• buffalo.jpg
    buffalo.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If it’s solder you can use a soldering iron and a desoldering bride. You can get a desodering bride at Radio Shack. All you would have to do is place the end of braid on the solder, then heat the solder with the appropriate sized tip and the braid will soak up the solder. Is it epoxied too?

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Indian head Nickle .........I will take it even attached to a clip! 8)

Would be a first for me!

The Seeker

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Personally, I'd solder the horse and Indian back onto the money clip and leave it as it is. Nice digs!

T

TreasureTales

af1733 said:
Personally, I'd solder the horse and Indian back onto the money clip and leave it as it is. Nice digs!

I agree. To me, the clip WITH the nickel is much more interesting than the nickel alone. Afix the Indian and you've got yourself a nice little "tribute" to Native Americans. Heck, if you can get the clip cleaned up a little more and re-attach the Indian, you've got yourself a great money clip to use on your own money, and a great story to go with it...you found the clip yourself and you restored it yourself. How cool would that be???!!!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find - I'd leave it "as is" personally

hh

good luck no matter what ya do,

lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread