Found my first copper point.

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Got out to a RW fort site today where the cherokee attacked the militia. Not much found this time but my one find was a goodie. Im assuming it predates the fort by a good bit which is not surprising since there are lots of points etc found in the area. Its def hand made and still sharp on the edges. Too bad the plow got to it as it is bent and the tip is broke off, but here is my NC found copper spearhead. First before the rinse then after.

ForumRunner_20121202_183658.png

ForumRunner_20121202_183732.png

ForumRunner_20121202_183805.png

ForumRunner_20121202_183846.png

Upvote 3

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty cool find no doubt. Maybe there's more where that one came from. - Good luck

OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks. I am still excited. Once in a lifetime find for me. Still fighting the urge to straighten it out.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first Copper Culture artifact (an awl) in Pulaski, NY, on the shore of Lake Ontario at the Salmon River estuary. Though far from where most Copper Culture artifacts are found, they are still somewhat frequent (relatively speaking of course, still very rare) but in NC! That's amazing! You are incredibly lucky, I would be detecting the heck out of that spot just in the hopes of finding another, or even just the tip of that one. AMAZING find! Congrats!!!!!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bell,
Ya Done GREAT! no doubt finding a copper point this far south, Amazing that goes to prove that the trade routes were open this far south
.................................HH

OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks guys. Im pumped about it. It was found very near a large mississipian site. I dont know much about copper culture though. It was also found very a fort that was attacked by cherokee, but seeing as they had guns i doubt they woulda been hauling around copper tipped spears that late in the game.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome copper point find! Even with the tip broken off there's no question about what it is!
Nick

OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks wildcat. When you hold it in hand there is no doubt, but I didn't feel like the photos did it justice because of the funky way its bent. When you look at it up close the tip break is jagged as it should be with crude hammered copper. I don't think you would see that with modern cast stuff. A couple knowlegable folks have told me they've never seen one found in NC so I fel very luck. It was totally unexpected.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool. It is either copper culture or some copper from settlers they turned into a point. When we had contact with them they took every material we had and used stone age technology on it to make the items they were accustom to. Fabulous find. I would also share it in the North American artifact section. That thing is something else for sure. The only way to know is test the metal to see if it is european copper or of the composition of the americas. We were studying it the other day.
HH
TnMtns

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing! There must have been some serious trade routes for that point to end up there!
It looks Great!
Keep it Up!

MJ

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have thrown that in my scrap pole thinking it was a ladle or large spoon handle. I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread