Found my first fully intact pocket watch... And its GOLD!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first fully intact pocket watch... And it's GOLD!

Got a great quarter like signal. Found this at about 5" while hunting a very large two story home that was built on 1918. The yard is HUGE! Also found a couple of silvers, a junk ring and another suspender clasp. Best part... i got it all on film! Now... Unfortunately the insides aren't gold so the watch is pretty well corroded shut. Any ideas on how to get it open so I can see a makers mark, inscription, or karat? Great day!:cheers: vid to come

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 14

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My apologies to replying to this post. It is a fantastic find and a gorgeous watch.

Now the WD-40 issue. I actually thought it would be a great solvent to put on a fine watch that has been buried in the ground for years. It will not hurt the gold, it should help loosen the rust and corrosion and just maybe loosen parts up enough to get open. If you think the insides are pristine, flawless and just need winding. You just might be mistaken.

I will try and edit my post about fish oil and WD-40. I REALLY seem to have angered the natives. Can't have that.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what the insides look like when you do get it opn.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

I think WD-40 at one time was made with fish oil. I remember spraying it on bait and it would really attract fish. Not anymore though, so I suppose the formula was changed. The watch is a great find, has me beat that's for sure, and I agree with you, how would WD-40 hurt something like that. However, do not spray on guns for a number of reasons. I did, dried all the excess off until you couldn't see or feel it, and the darn stuff migrated into the cartridges and ruined them. It did that over and over until it was stripped off with cleanser.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is completely awesome. It makes me want to head out right now.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
No matter what solvent you use WD 40 or Liquid Wrench or any of the equivalents shouldn't effect the Gold . And seeing that the guts are rusted why the big deal .
If it were a working or close to working watch then maybe it would be a no-no . But again in this case your not hurting the inner workings .. Woodstock

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pop that baby open. The back should open pretty easy as good a shape as it is in.

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright... I got it open! It turns out its an Elgin with serial # 6019136 wich means it came off the production line on 1896! The case is a keystone 14k thick gold filled case with a 20 year warranty...sooooo... I don't think I can return it ;) the guts are rusted and seized but man what a great find. Still a little bummed that its not a solid gold model but oh well. This was the most popular type for its time period. I'm putting together a video of the find, the opening and the research of the whole process including tons of pics. Thanks for all the help! Happy hunting!

Nice...congrats

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live dig video and live vid of the opening to come!

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live dig video and live vid of the opening to come!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think WD-40 at one time was made with fish oil. I remember spraying it on bait
and it would really attract fish. Not anymore though, so I suppose the formula was changed.

Haven't fished Steelhead in a couple years, but as far as I know it is still a killer scent to add to a lure. When
legal to use scent, it's helped me bring an awful lot of Steelhead to the driftboat. Mostly used it when
backtrolling plugs; just one good shot on the plug, and then back it right down into that Steelhead's
front room. It'll piss that fish off real good, and he's not gonna let it sit there waving in his face ....
instead he'll hammer that plug.....:occasion14:

Mikes Steelhead 022804.jpg

Can't speak to it's effectiveness on watches, but if carefully applied I can't see
that it would harm the watch contents or the cover. Awesome find!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
481k.gif AWESOME WATCH

Attachments