Found my first gold ever today, too excited not to share!

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I just wrote out a lengthy post, but I apparently got logged out so it didn't save. Anyways, it was a great day but I'm now exhausted from all the digging and moving rocks. I took this video for my wife and friends, but I decided to put it on youtube for funs, so take a look. I was also wondering about the angle of my sulice for any of you experts that actually read this. They say you want an inch of fall per foot of sluice, my sluice is 24" long so I did 2" of fall. It seemed very steep, and people I met told me to make it less steep. Anyways, I caught the biggest gold out of anyone of the day, so I duno.

https://youtu.be/chF1joNGx7s

Edit 1: After reflection and testing I realized I was basing my 2" of fall off height of my sluice box's walls. Turns out they were 2.5"...oops...

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright! Now you are one of us. :). The water looks nice. Congrats on the gold. Didn't see you poking around at "notgold". So you're on the right track.

Didn't see you feeding the sluice. So I can't tell you how it's running. But it looked mostly clear with a little material hanging on the "riffles". So I'd say it's ok. How quickly were you feeding it and how did it clear?

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright! Now you are one of us. :). The water looks nice. Congrats on the gold. Didn't see you poking around at "notgold". So you're on the right track.

Didn't see you feeding the sluice. So I can't tell you how it's running. But it looked mostly clear with a little material hanging on the "riffles". So I'd say it's ok. How quickly were you feeding it and how did it clear?
He's not one yet we've got to see him pass the initiation test! Then he'll be one of us! LOL!

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video, congrats on your first gold.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks fun! Congratulations on your first color!

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ya so I tried to run it really slowly at first. Also, after a few days now to reflect, I realized that the sides to my sluice are actually 2.5" tall, I thought they were 2". That means I was doing about 2.5" of drop for 24" which is really interesting that I found that piece of gold still. Anyways, I was feeding it really slowly but as it got later in the day and some people were heading my direction I started to feed it faster so I could go home. Probably too fast but I was tired.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I was most pleased about hearing in your video were the words, "test pan." That's the key to getting on the good stuff...keep testing, then run those buckets!

You're definitely going to want a longer sluice. Then you can step up the water flow and process more material quicker.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yea, the initiation. Hard to believe we still make people do that. Oh well, I guess we All had to endure it.

You'd be surprised how much the gold "wants" to stop. In my opinion measuring and leveling (with a level) are a waste of time. If it clears what you're trying to get rid of and leaves what you want it's good.

If the water is about even side to side it's level. If the dirt washes down the middle in some reasonable amount of time (5-15 seconds depending on your taste) leave it alone. The "V" in the water flow will work itself out.

There are a wide range of depths you may encounter. On a smaller sluice I prefer deep. The top or plus or minus a little. Doc insists that it be shallow like an inch or so to really get the exchange. I'd want four or five feet of sluice and hog mats for that.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you processed that hole thru that sluice then ya need a bigger box. Check out some "grizzly bar/sluice boxes" with google. Gotta hand it to anyone that hauls 5 gallon buckets of dirt. My back hurts just watching. I like that black mat but it just won't hold gold if you continue putting rocks in all day. Back it up with a couple feet of expanded (the heavy stuff, not that little wussie stuff that comes with the Keene's) and some miners moss and check back with your results. And ya don't have to find gold to be a miner...just the dreaming qualifies you.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All new prospectors have to pass it. It usually involves pain, embarrassing moments. or something just plain stupid! we've all done it including myself. It's a right of passage you'll know when you pass! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread