Found my first half dollar!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went through a small drought of the silver for a couple hunts then had back to back silvers last two outings. Last hunt had two roseys turn up. This 1947 walking liberty half dollar was about 4 inches down and on edge. Made the signals bounce a little bit but going from the high 80's to the mid 90's I had to dig! This was literally about a 30 second walk from my house. I'm going back! 20170306_144719.jpg 20170306_144727.jpg 20170306_175403.jpg 20170306_175349.jpg

Upvote 28

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your BIG silver! My only silver half is a 43 Walker, and boy did it feel good in my hand! Being that close to your house is a big plus...looking forward to your future finds...Ddf

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IM WALKING THE GROUND OVER YOU , AND NOW I FOUND YA GONNA KEEP YOU TOOOOO.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome!! Even though I find a bunch each year I never get tired of seeing them. Congrats on a nice chuck of silver.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great jpb that's a first youll neber forget I have four but that's after literally hundreds of hours of hunts put that sucker in a nice case. I like putting my silver in coin holders and mark where I found them helps me know the older areas !!!!!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great jpb that's a first youll neber forget I have four but that's after literally hundreds of hours of hunts put that sucker in a nice case. I like putting my silver in coin holders and mark where I found them helps me know the older areas !!!!!

So funny you mention that! Thought to myself tonight.....I should start jotting down what was found where. I will definitely take that advice.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice BIG silver recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on the big silver! I guess you'll be making that 30 second walk again. Great coins can be close by. I was out door knocking with a friend and after we got permission he told me that one of our detecting buddies lives on that street. We were there about an hour and I had an LC, Barber dime and a NJ copper and my buddy had a Liberty Cap LC and some silver. We noticed this car slow down and recognized the driver as Carter, our detecting buddy. He said he would be back in 45 minutes to join us. He was back in 15. It was hysterical. He drove by this house every day for 20 years and never knocked on the door. He almost passed out when he saw it was Jimmy and I detecting. Ended up with at least half dozen coppers as well as silver and misc. stuff. Some great places can be close by. HH

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on the big silver! I guess you'll be making that 30 second walk again. Great coins can be close by. I was out door knocking with a friend and after we got permission he told me that one of our detecting buddies lives on that street. We were there about an hour and I had an LC, Barber dime and a NJ copper and my buddy had a Liberty Cap LC and some silver. We noticed this car slow down and recognized the driver as Carter, our detecting buddy. He said he would be back in 45 minutes to join us. He was back in 15. It was hysterical. He drove by this house every day for 20 years and never knocked on the door. He almost passed out when he saw it was Jimmy and I detecting. Ended up with at least half dozen coppers as well as silver and misc. stuff. Some great places can be close by. HH

Lol, that's funny. Seems the good finds are when you least expect it.....or ready to pack it up for the day.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Half Dollar. Thats a nice looking Walker.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will ALWAYS remember your First half dollar, and where you found it. My first was years ago at a vacant lot downtown, had detected that lot at least 11 times, only found one horseshoe and a few recent coins, one day just for something to do, went back and "Bingo", my first Walking Liberty. And not 3 feet from it, a merc. dime. As is said, there is no such thing as a hunted out place. That lot is now a parking lot, so right place, right time. Really nice John4

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will ALWAYS remember your First half dollar, and where you found it. My first was years ago at a vacant lot downtown, had detected that lot at least 11 times, only found one horseshoe and a few recent coins, one day just for something to do, went back and "Bingo", my first Walking Liberty. And not 3 feet from it, a merc. dime. As is said, there is no such thing as a hunted out place. That lot is now a parking lot, so right place, right time. Really nice John4

The more I get into this stuff the more I agree with people that the term "hunted out" is a slogan the people who don't want to spend a little time and possibly listen to some iron grunts instead of full blown disc. On. I've hunted this area about 5 times and just keep pulling coins out.

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for my first silver half after all these years... That one's a beaut! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread