Found my first necklace today!

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first necklace today! Pics are below. The charm is definitely sterling silver and goes off on discrimination at 3/4 turn of the dial. However, the necklace does not and gives off a low tone sound. I thought it may be gold but this bracelet online looks like it is sterling silver too. If so, why does it give off a low tone? Is it because it is so thin relative to the charm?

Sterling If Daughters Were Flowers Pendant 18in - Gifts, Clothing, Jewelry, Home Decor and Home Furnishings as Featured in Popular Catalogs | Catalog Favorites

inscription.jpgFirst_necklace.jpgflower.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7
All my silver chain and necklaces have come up lower on the vdi's , cool find , congrats !
Glen

Nice find! I'm surprised the pendant was on the chain.

TreasureNet by iPhone

Ive found several silver chains from 20 to 30 grams and they read much lower than silver rings or silver coins.

Found my first necklace today! Pics are below. The charm is definitely sterling silver and goes off on discrimination at 3/4 turn of the dial. However, the necklace does not and gives off a low tone sound. I thought it may be gold but this bracelet online looks like it is sterling silver too. If so, why does it give off a low tone? Is it because it is so thin relative to the charm?

Great find!
Necklaces and all chains are sweet!

I asked about this chain stuff a long time ago and engineer Rudy, a mod on another forum gave me an answer.
Once I realized this stuff happens, (the same on broken or open rings, too), I dug more lower and trash signals and that is when I started to find more and more chains.
Silver chains will come in low from iron on the really small thin ones up to zinc on the bigger ones.
Gold will also act in a similar fashion, or at least the clasps on these chain items will act this way.
Some silver chains I have found since I started to understand the physics in the pic below.

"It's the physics. The magnetic field generated by the Eddy currents induced by the transmit coil on the targets are very small in the case of a chain. Basically, because of the contact resistance between each link is relatively high, the Eddy currents are each confined to a single link in the chain. So, each small link in effect becomes a target. Because each link is small, it can't generate a large field for the receive coil to detect. Also, the links are pointing in somewhat different directions, so their individual magnetic fields don't readily add up to a larger field which would make for easier detection.

For the above reasons, chains are hard to detect. What usually "give them away" is an attached medal, or a sturdily built clasp."

Attachments

• silver chains section.jpg
    silver chains section.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 103

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back