Found my first......revolver?

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
I posted a few weeks ago about getting my ACE 350 and about metal detecting for the first time ever...over the last few weeks, I've been following the advice repeated ad nauseum on here concerning "learning the machine"..which I've been doing..of course, I still dig everything..even if it's to clean up a trashy area...which is exactly where I've been using the ACE 350 for my first few weeks in the hobby...my neighborhood was right near where Sherman's army crossed the river on the way into atlanta...BUT more recently it has 30 years of boozing and partying history..so all I have found is pull tabs in the 100's (serious) beer cans from the 80's and 90's..a mysterious piece of machinery, an Arrow that had been shot into the woods, a set of keys, and unidentifiable clad...
..Yesterday I hit a signal of a nickel...I was excited to pull another bottle cap out...but about 4 inches down I pulled out a small lock plater with a small hammer still attatched..barely...my heart skipped a beat...civil war era is my passion so I knew 'about' what I was looking at...the Garret Pro pointer (a godsend by the way...will never hunt without it again) keep going crazy in the same hole...I eventually pulled out a cylinder and other assorted pieces...
However...........I began to think I had dug a toy due to the quality of the metal and the square head of the hammer confirmed it..

I got it home to clean up and confirm but yup..I had dug pieces of a long forgotten cap gun ...haha oh well :tongue3: ...I'd still take that over another pull tab anyday..
Love learning my machine..and love hearing it sing ...but it's time to move on from the trashy areas

Cheers,
CH

Attachments

• capgun1.jpg
    capgun1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,677
  • capgun2.jpg
    capgun2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,656
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cap guns still count, I used to live in Atlanta, and had some good finds along Tanyard Creek behind Bobby Jones Golf course. There was a mill there that was blown up in the war, and a few years back parts of it started washing out of the banks. Found a lot of nice bullets there, and I'm sure there's more.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I only started metal detecting about 6 months
ago and this was one of my first major finds! :o
I understand the excitement you felt CheathamHill! :laughing7:

Happy Hunting!
Dave

Attachments

• MD_Jan1_11 002.jpg
    MD_Jan1_11 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • MD_Jan1_11 003.jpg
    MD_Jan1_11 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • MD_Jan1_11 003.jpg
    MD_Jan1_11 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • MD_Jan1_11 002.jpg
    MD_Jan1_11 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,065

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
americanadian said:
antiquarian you pulled that in ontario? where abouts if you don't mind me asking :)

No, I don't mind . . . I live in Oshawa and found it buried in the sand at Lakeview Park.

Welcome to Treasure Net buddy! :hello:

Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome CheathamHill :hello:
Congrats on your Finds.
If you keep diggin your CW finds WILL come.
learning your machine is part of the process, but I'd advise digging most if not all of your signals.
I dig most everything that makes a sound, and 19 out of 20 are junk, but I've recovered enough goodies from 'junk' signals to know you can't ever tell what's there till you dig it, Karat gold is often especially tricky with low tones :wink:
Here's a Smokey I dug last year, ( Can't find the smokey, here's another one)
& a 14 K diamond ring that rang like foil :icon_scratch:
Looking forward to seeing more of your finds :thumbsup:

Attachments

• NC FINDS 12-20 003.jpg
    NC FINDS 12-20 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 735
  • nc finds 9-29 11 005.jpg
    nc finds 9-29 11 005.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 725
  • nc finds 9-29 11 005.jpg
    nc finds 9-29 11 005.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 705
  • NC FINDS 12-20 003.jpg
    NC FINDS 12-20 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 693

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CheatamHill, a buddy of mine from Alpharetta told me he took his kids hiking up the rocky hill across from the Kolb Farm site at Kennesaw Mountain the other day and they found bullets washed out on the edges of the trail. I don't think you can detect on that side of the road, since I'm not sure what the park boundaries are there but eyeball finds are good too. I'm going to have to come back up your way this summer and hunt a few pickets I know of out there too. Good luck, there's a lot more to be found.

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
NOLA_Ken said:
CheatamHill, a buddy of mine from Alpharetta told me he took his kids hiking up the rocky hill across from the Kolb Farm site at Kennesaw Mountain the other day and they found bullets washed out on the edges of the trail. I don't think you can detect on that side of the road, since I'm not sure what the park boundaries are there but eyeball finds are good too. I'm going to have to come back up your way this summer and hunt a few pickets I know of out there too. Good luck, there's a lot more to be found.

Eyeball found a nice piece of shell shrapnel in April on adjacent property to the park...occasional surprises can still be found...thanks for the heads up on the adjacent kolb farm area..may have to cehck it out with my eyeballs....THOUGH, itt seems like they arrest you just for looking down at the ground these days in national parks ...
Would love to hunt picket sites up here with you sometime!

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pistol,I found an old cap cun In my fathers back yard.Turned out to be a Kilgore "Pal" model from the late 60's early 70's.It must have been either mine or my brothers from when we were kids. ;D

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Exciting story, glad you're bonding with your machine, I'm sure many treasures await just a few inches under your feet. Happy hunting and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread