Found my first Seated Dime along with a Merc and toasted copper!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm scoring allot of "my first" this year/season. I found a 1850 Seated Dime in one of my soybean fields, just before finding that I dug a 1939 Merc first, then a , what I think might be a Classic Head Large Cent. The Seated was relatively deep (what I call deep) about 9 or 10 inches, it rang perfect, a 4-way 91. The Merc and the Large were about 5 inches each sounding great, both perfect 4-way 93. All three times I felt like doing a video but in the same breath I didn't feel like taking off my gloves (haaa) If my copper comes out where I get some good pix I"ll edit and add them later.
Here is a link to my Seated Dime.
https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...s-1837-1891-pscid-29/1850-10c-ms-coinid-14593

Enjoy the pix ( a couple of the closeups are done, both inside, one of each side in my hand, and one of each side on my knee) (It effects the lighting, one makes it look darker, the other makes it look shiny) The best light is natural sunlight for pix!
HH & GL
Brad

update/edit This is my first Seated Liberty Dime, not my first Seated Liberty coin, I have found Half dimes, Quarter and counterfeits. Just in case anyone is counting, haaaa lol

Resized_20170127_151729.jpg Resized_20170127_135647.jpg Resized_20170127_140151.jpg 20170127_1543301.jpg 20170127_1547041.jpg Resized_20170127_153952.jpg 20170127_1540591.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely Brad. You work hard and earn every one of your finds. Let's get out soon bud.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one my man! I can remember the exact spot I found my first seated. It's pretty incredible that I can't remember s#*t but I could bring you to every spot I found something great detecting

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great condition on that Seated dime! That's a pretty early one too. I've only recovered a few, and they always look like crap. Nicely done.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! That Seated's got a tremendous amount of detail on it.

-- Jeff --

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Seated Dime. I have dug a lot of early silver as you can see from my profile....but I have only ever dug one seated silver!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Seated Dime Brad.
Thank you

Absolutely Brad. You work hard and earn every one of your finds. Let's get out soon bud.
I'm ready for a long ride, or your welcome down here, let me know, I get paid on the firsts next Wed.

That's a nice one my man! I can remember the exact spot I found my first seated. It's pretty incredible that I can't remember s#*t but I could bring you to every spot I found something great detecting
Thanks buddy, I can tell you where all mine came from too, allot of them were under water.

Great condition on that Seated dime! That's a pretty early one too. I've only recovered a few, and they always look like crap. Nicely done.
Thank you

Thanks Cru, I really want Roman found with my Deus!

Great finds. You got sat down!
Yeah buddy, sat down, lol

Congrats on the great finds! That Seated's got a tremendous amount of detail on it.

-- Jeff --
Thanks Jeff

Beautiful Seated Dime. I have dug a lot of early silver as you can see from my profile....but I have only ever dug one seated silver!
Thanks Steve
That's why it's so special, I can feel a Early American silver coming soon I hope, I'm really wanting one.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a mad good condition seated dime too! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that seated Brad, they are as rare as hen's teeth in Ohio. 3 years of swinging the coil and I have only dug one.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that seated Brad, they are as rare as hen's teeth in Ohio. 3 years of swinging the coil and I have only dug one.
I hear you, considering I probably get out detecting almost every day for three years, I'd say they are rare as hens teeth everywhere. I find it interesting reading about how during that time in history the melt value exceeded the face value, so two things happened, they were horded by the citizens and huge amounts of seated were melted down by the mint to make Peace Dollars and I believe Morgans too. I have found four, six if you count counterfeit. I have seen two friends on my sites find two others, a Half Dime and a Dime, both of those were in pretty good condition also.

KILLER FINDS!!! Awesome job!!
Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread