Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually around this time of the year,, we are waiting for the ground to thaw. Up in the NYC area we are also waiting for the NYC Parks Department to put out the annual Metal Detecting Permit application. I think in previous years, the earliest that the applications have been available has been in early March. I have written a few Emails over the years,, asking why a 12 month permit is only available for 10 months or less?
Well, we are off and running this year. There is a new lady up at the North Arsenal where they issue the Permits. I spoke with her and it was a very pleasant conversation. The Applications were available for download on January 2nd. I sent in a completed Application,, along with a copy of my photo I.D. Within a week, my permit was on it's way back to me. Unbelievable!
Now the weather has been such that most of us are having a hard time believing that it is January. There have not been any sustained periods of really freezing overnight temps. We have received rain instead of snow and the ground is soft and most. That has helped with deep signals and has made digging much easier.
Location can sometimes be everything. I have been hunting a wooded area recently and it has been productive. I decided to visit an old park last Saturday and made a new acquaintance. A fellow coil swinger who was very generous with a location that I have never hunted before. It turned out to be a sweet location so far. It produced the only 1/2 dime I have ever found. I couldn't stay away from a spot like that,, so yesterday I returned and hunted it again.

Along with some clad, I was able to recover a 1940s Mercury dime and an 1891 Indian Head Penny. I spoke to my new buddy today and tomorrow we plan to go to my spot up in the woods. The oldest coin that I have found up there so far is an 1844 Large Cent.
Man, January has been very good to me.

IMG_5866.JPG IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

Upvote 28

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATW,

Good going on the silver and IH. Looking forward to your finds from the wooded area.

Regards + HH

Bill

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too cold in Ulster to dig. your next hunt____invite mayor GOOFUSIO to join you----take him to a nice secluded spot & say "start diggin'" __________after an hour or so, when the hole is deep >>>>>>> well, you know what comes next :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: OH, and remember to fill your holes :laughing7:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
January's been very good to you and you still have the weekend. Another good hunt today with plans for another hunt tomorrow, who knows what you might close the month out with.
Congrats on today's finds and Good Luck with tomorrow.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds brother, I think I like global warming too?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been enjoying similar weather, atw.......keep after that soft ground, it's been very good to you so far!!

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ATW. I see you found a couple of nuts. It looks like it has been cold enough to freeze the nuts off of something! :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you got the permit earlier since the weather has been warm enough to get out and detect. I agree, January had been good to you ATW. Congrats on digging those 10 keepers along with the other finds. :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you're on a roll with things going well for you- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice coin finds! :occasion14:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting