Found my first sting ray

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Or rather, it found me. Never felt pain like that before and I've had some pains in my life. Hit the bone and thrashed until it broke loose. Went through my boot too. 20160413_092101.jpg

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batsprays.jpg ...DONT KNOW IF THE MANTA RAY WOULDVE WORKED :tongue3:
TAKE CARE - BE CAREFUL OF INFECTION

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry that happened! Better that getting it in the chest which has been known famously to take a life.

Just curious if you were shuffling or had any indication what was about to happen?

I'll stick to fresh water hunting thanks!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The price of Gold Number 13? Sorry to see and can imagine that thing flopping around stuck in your foot. Hope it heals fast so you can get Number 14....

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago one of my friends was hit through his tennis shoe, entire leg was swollen twice its normal size. He was in hospital two days. Yes see a podiatrist, part of the barb could still be broken off in there. Get well soon

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shuffle! shuffle! shuffle! Also, go to a doctor, you can get some REALLY nasty infections from those hits.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I remember the first time I found the wrong end of a Cownose Ray down at Padre Island. I was home on leave and went out for some shallow fishing about 400 yards out.

I must have screamed like a baby, never in my life did 400 yards seem like 400 Light Years away. Guess someone called for help because paramedics where there right as I crawled out of the water. They said just lay there, like no kidding I was going to go for a run.

18 days in the hospital and one surgery, 30 days medical leave and 90 days down before I was allowed to even think about training again.

Jeep Gold, I hope you shot that fish; and then ate it because they taste great. Hurts me looking at and now I want to go shoot one.

Last edited by a moderator:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer! Very painful :censored:.... heal quick, the yellow misses you! You must be going too deep(hard to do the shuffle at neck deep)!:laughing7:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just imagine with no boot. I'll be happy to take over your spots while you recover. [emoji4]

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've stepped on about 50 stingrays without booties here in FL, once 13 in one day (I counted). But as soon as I feel them squirm under my foot I jump and they swim away. I wonder if the booties would keep me from feeling them right away, and they would have time to turn and jab me.

I'm not suggesting that wearing booties is a bad idea, I do wear them when it's cold or rocky, but I'm just wondering if they keep you from realizing you are standing on a stingray a few seconds too long : |

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get careless and stop doing the shuffle and step on them all the time...its just a matter of time until one gets me...like you, everyone says the pain is intense...hope it heals quick.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Just imagine with no boot. I'll be happy to take over your spots while you recover. [emoji4]

Someone already did, Where do you think they found the Omega watch? 10 ft from where I got hit

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
as for the stingray shuffle, that was hard because the water was very turbulent and it was hard just to keep my self upright in the rocks. this little ******* didn't give any notice . Just rammed his bard into my foot and I could feel it pulsing trying to dig deeper and thrashing at the same time. I yelled pretty dang loud.. I will admit.
Not sure if it's related but last night( some 30 hrs later) I got a SEVERE headache and chills and vomiting. I think it was a super sinus'headache, Advil sinus medicine helped. I had to take the night off work. Now I feel like a bad hangover.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude that sucks! And is very scary! I do the shuffle and hope it continues to work. I might give up shallow water hunting if I ever get stung!

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
giving up water hunting isn't an option until i get bit by something worse. Or find my Super Bowl ring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread