Found my oldest coin to date

arrowhead883

Feb 6, 2009
Central Kentucky
Hi all,

I just started MDing about a month ago and have been hunting an old farm house on our place everyday, trying to get used to my machine.
I've picked up most of the easy stuff and decided to go out yesterday and dig every signal I could to try and get rid of some of the trash. After picking up many many "aluminum nickels" I hit on this guy. It's a 1939 wheatie, my oldest md coin so far.

Thanks to everyone who gives advice on this site! :thumbsup:
It really does help the newbies like me.
Arrow

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Thats how i started with oder coins. I think mine was a 24 wheat.. Keep going and you will continue to find older coins and more precious then wheats.

LT

S

seger98

Welcome to Treasure Net, Congratulations on your coin!

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I can relate! I just got my first md for Christmas (G. Ace 250) and it seems when the weather is good, the wife has to work and I've got the 3 year old. So, I've been digging the heck out of my own yard and public parks which have been hit hard before. We just moved into our place in 2007 and it had been a rental for a few years, built circa 1971.

I would never have believed how many coins would come out of this yard! Probably 100+ and every time I go over it again I'm finding more. It's nearly hunted out now. Great training ground. No silver, not even a wheatie in the whole bunch.

I have been in a couple of private yards very, very briefly... like 20 minutes and half a dozen holes, plugged carefully and replaced nearly perfect. Once I've mastered the art of plugging and replacing flawlessly, I'll do a bit of door knocking in some older neighborhoods. I know the local history quite well and am kin to a lot of the old families, so do quite well making introductions to area natives.

But, along with the theme of this thread, oldest I'd found up until a week ago was a 1952 wheat... right next to the sidewalk in a very public park... probably been passed by a dozen times. It was a weak, jumpy signal, so probably ignored or missed before. Hit a root about as big around as your thumb about 2 inches down and just worked either side of it loosening the soil until I could get my fingers under it and work the dirt out. It was a really great feeling to see wheat for the first time!

Then the other day, great weather, had the boy, spent mom's entire shift at work in the playgrounds. One in an old neighborhood has a sandbox so the little guy could pretend he was looking for treasure just like dad. Right in the gate and just a couple inches down I plucked a 1945! So, if I gain another 7 years everytime out I should be hitting some great stuff this time next year!

I got some sense of pride, some feeling that I know what I'm doing, to find these oldies right in the middle of the beaten path, so to speak.

What's the best/oldest coin folks here have ever found in a very public and likely oft hunted spot?

Good hunting!
-Vance

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Not a bad start...just start asking the relatives/neighbors for permission now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread