Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to detect a local park that I believe some of you have already hunted. I have seen many with detectors in the park. I have also hunted the park many different times with mine. I have pretty much given up finding any copper or silver in the park. As a result, I have begun to dig all of the mid tone sounds. I dug over 100 pull tabs, bottle caps, and foil today. You must have left them there for me to find. Hahaha.

As I was on my pull tab digging adventure, I found a 1905 V Nickel! I was excited to find a coin over 100 years old. After taking a picture of the nickel and placing it in my pocket, I continued with the bottle cap finding bonanza. After I dug another hole that gave me a mid tone signal, I pulled out my pointer and stuck it in the hole. I fished around a little and there popped out a small green/brown colored circle coin with a little dirt. It was the size of a dime but I was confused why my detector gave me a mid tone signal. Dimes always hit high. While looking at the coin, feeling a little confused, I brushed it off and it had a Roman numeral III on it. What the………….

To my great surprise, it was an 1867 three cent piece! First ever that I have found and also my oldest coin found to date! For some strange reason, I always thought that they were the size of a nickel. I was way wrong. Now I know that they are dime sized. Anyway, my question at the end of hunting was this; Was it worth digging so many pull tabs, bottle caps, and tin foil in order to find two coins? Absolutely! Merry Christmas and thanks for reading. 12-22-15 1.png 12-22-15 2.png

Last edited:
Upvote 25

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, XP Deus, XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both are in really good shape, like the three cent as not many are posted up ever.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Happy holidays.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some good finds!!!! Congrats to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread