Found on a dig in NJ.. Worked?

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these on a dig in southern NJ (Atlantic coastal plains region). Some type of chert I presume. I found one real nice flake with fine work around the edges (not shown here). It was the same type of material as the red rock/flint. In the same post hole, I found these. My questions are:

** Just to be clear, the first two pictures are the same piece, the third photo fit is a piece of rock that fit to that piece***

(1) Do these look worked to you?
(2) I'm thinking the divot in the red flint/rock is a potlid scar. Thoughts?
(3) Do you know the type of material? I grew up in this area and have never seen chert. It's all sandy soil in the Atlantic coastal plains, so I'm wondering if it's native material or not.
(4) We found 4 or so pieces white-ish chert/rock. After the dig, we realized they all fit together. Do you think this was a lithic core? Maybe broke apart in a fire?

The land was known to have a native campsite on it. Only got to dig one 1m x 1m hole and found these. Any and all information/opinions on these pieces would be appreciated.

IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1247 (1).jpg
IMG_1240.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The first two pictures (same artifact) is a purposefully made tool. Third picture is the same material showing a removal from it. Last picture is, as you thought, a potlid. It may be the same material, only heated.

IMO. FWIW

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Negative, natural rock.

I meant to say pic #3 looks natural, 1&2 looks like a small core or scraper and #4 no clue but looks like a fire pop. When I saw this earlier I only saw pic #3 and didn't look at the first 2 pics because I thought they were the same.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
For that matter, the recohnizable tool is a good example of creation via Levallois knapping. The long flake coming from the thin edge could only have been struck while it was still attached to a larger piece.

You mentioned they were a re-fit : good looking/thinking ! Care to re-fit them for a photo of that ?

OP
OP
G

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm going to get up some more photos of them separately and fit together ASAP.

Two follow up questions:

1) The piece in the first and second photo is flat on the bottom - with that said, could it still be a scraper or more likely to be a core?

2) How would you approach this site to dig again? Just dig around our already dug 1m x 1m plot? Would really like to find a whole point there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread