spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet find AL :icon_thumleft: I say repair her and fire her up once again :tongue3: Can't help you on a date, but I would say it's from the late 1800's, then again, I'm surely no expert, but I do love relics like those.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool cannon. I have found many relics that exactly resemble the other one above it.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odds are that dates more to the early to mid 1700s...it's really a great find and something near the top of my list!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, and good the damage is at the bottom. I think the amount of these posted tends to make it seem as if they are fairly common but that's not the case for most places.

OP
OP
pinebarrens1

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was the last find of the day . i dug many bullets that day , and was getimg tired of digging . so i sayed a not so deep objest and in the copper area on my xs ......i was happy i got it .

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
ok...so he is holding this in his hand...fully charged...the bottom blows out....

he looses 3 maybe 4 fingers...the palm of his hand...

that was one long day for the previous owner... :help:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leefields said:
ok...so he is holding this in his hand...fully charged...the bottom blows out....

he looses 3 maybe 4 fingers...the palm of his hand...

that was one long day for the previous owner... :help:
:o uch , that's gonna leave a mark ::) Hope that didn't happen ! Nice cannon pinebarrens1 :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a rare find for the states. Seems like these were not manufactured here at all, but rather carried over from Europe in peoples' or childrens' pockets. I have seen some posted dug in Canada, and some posted from Europe. Not too many found in the states. But it is at least an early to mid 1700s find. Great recovery! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
That is a rare find for the states. Seems like these were not manufactured here at all, but rather carried over from Europe in peoples' or childrens' pockets. I have seen some posted dug in Canada, and some posted from Europe. Not too many found in the states. But it is at least an early to mid 1700s find. Great recovery! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

You won't see more posted from Canada than the US. (probably far less) The majority are definitely found in the UK, and there is a lot, but it's hard to say how common a find it is considering how many people are digging. A few years back there was quite a few types of targets, especially coins, that I thought the typical Brit was probably finding on a regular basis, but it ended up being far from the truth. That I believe has a lot to do with why some finds don't get the credit they deserve, because it's assumed it's easy to find where the person was detecting. I know when the boys post up their 2nd American buttons... which are killer buttons, no one really seems to care. But yet any confederate rocks the place. :laughing7: Oh well, I guess if we're all equally guilty in one way or another it all evens out. ;D Oh, and I totally agree made in Europe and taken here.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me out, someone....anyone.....were those used as a toy, or were they used for other purposes?
Don't know, and want to finish out the old year a little smarter.....:)

OP
OP
pinebarrens1

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont think it was a toy ..... the way it was blown open on the bottom . i think it shot small round shots ...... the opening is just as wide as a small caliber round

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinebarrens1 said:
i dont think it was a toy ..... the way it was blown open on the bottom . i think it shot small round shots ...... the opening is just as wide as a small caliber round

I feel certain that this was a toy. There were miniature guns for kids to shoot in the 18th c. and earlier, and these are found in europe with some frequency. They, like the cannon, just fired a little powder charge.

These were dangerous toys it is true, but I do think they were toys--just as I am convinced that the toy axes and hatchets dug here in the states were toys as well.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
pinebarrens1 said:

I feel certain that this was a toy. There were miniature guns for kids to shoot in the 18th c. and earlier, and these are found in europe with some frequency. They, like the cannon, just fired a little powder charge.

These were dangerous toys it is true, but I do think they were toys--just as I am convinced that the toy axes and hatchets dug here in the states were toys as well.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Toy cannons are still very popular today and there's no shortage of little cannons mounted on the carriage for sale. The difference is the more modern ones tend to be made of lower grade metal.

The suggestion it might have been a weapon (?) I think puts one too many roses on the glasses.

PS... Found one a couple of years ago.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP