BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I found this on the beach two months ago. I have chipped at it and removed some of the crusting. Also put it into electrolysis but that takes way too long and I see little to no results.

Was wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to remove the crustations and yet not effect the possible metal object inside?

It seems to be a hand gun, possibly from the WWll era, since it takes over forty years to get into this condition. There was activity off shore back then, so who knows. Or, it could be the end of a cutlass sword. Until I can remove most of the encrustation, I have no ID on the item.

Any thoughts on how to clean it?

I attached two pics: one a few days after I brought it home and the other is the xray from my dog's vet I had done this morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Artifact X rayed 5-31-12.jpg May 1 electrolsys project (5) - RS.JPG

Upvote 0

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by your x-ray it looks like you got the crusty without the gun inside.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and you use electrolyse. Congratulation!!

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I could think of is upping the amount of current and using a larger amount of water and a bigger stainless plate to speed up the process, anything else will wreck it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure how x rays work, but it seems like there is nothing in it. :dontknow:

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has other ideas on how to remove the crustations and yet not effect the possible metal object inside?

Hydrochloric acid (pool acid-muriatic) will remove it fairly fast. The acid also disolves metals but it would take a long long time and multiple changes to fresh acid to disolve the metal.

Put it in a plastic or glass container outside and stay away from the fumes!

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tech said the xray could not see thru it, as if it were solid bone.

Thanks all for your ideas. I will try the larger stainless steel plate first and if that does not produce any noticable action, I will go the muriatic acid route. I have been putting off working with the acid but at this point, it may be my last hope at peeling back the crustations!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its a plastic squirt gun.

Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A gentle tap with a hammer will break off the crust. It's probably not all that valuable anyway.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks alot like a gun!! x-ray is useless, not done correctly? soak it in lime-away?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In order for the electrolytic reduction to work, your alligator clip has to be making good contact with at least some part of the metal in the artifact. From the picture, it looks like the clip is just attached mostly to the outer concretion.

Also keep in mind too that in saltwater it doesn't take many years for concretion to build up like that in a relatively short period of time, especially on iron.

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mad4wrecks. There is just so much concretion i cannot seem to find a good spot. The tip seems good, at least it bubbles decent there. Its just been sitting in salt water in my for-relics-aquarium now because I am out of ideas and patience :) .
I found a stainless steel dish, going to try setting in that and see if it goes any faster.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know.... when I find something like that I just bust it open...
Not much value in an iron object left in Sea salt water...
But a good whack will get you an idea what it is...

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
A friend that finds many spikes and other iron items from the 1715 wrecks has used various techniques. Vinegar will also work and is less nasty to be around. He has also used muriatic acid, but that stuff is hard core and must be done with good ventilation.

We have also reverse current cleaned some items. It works but take while as mentioned.

He has not yet tried lime away.

PK

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
We used to clean civil war mortar shells and cannon balls that we found with electrolosys. The idea is the same as you are trying but being such a large metal surface (thick) we used a car battery. One contact on the item to be cleaned, the other to an iron rod. Never can remember which object gets the positive connection, but if the rod starts bubbleing then the connections are backwards. Muriatic acid works fine, just use outside as the fumes are very bad for you to breathe. The small current from your charger adapter is too weak for such a large job. Also once cleaned, the item, if considered good should be heated in a hot oven on high heat for at least 45 minutes, removed and sprayed with a clearcoat to preserve. Otherwise it will oxidise and continue to rust. Hope this helps.

ForumRunner_20120701_112230.png

Picture of cleaned mortor shell after spraying:

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does, thank you. Trying the vinegar, it's been 'soaking' for 3 hours and little bubbles come up. It is also leaving particles, maybe rust dust? behind. Going to see about a car battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread