found one finally....well

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Found this 1939s penny,,,but back to my old methods, not with MD but with roll searching. Still nothing with MD yet, I hope to get something soon!
hope you enjoy the photo, I am an expert camera man using digital cameras since about 1992 when they first started to come out. I know of lot of you on here have a hard time getting things focussed, message me and I can offer some assistance.

Wirebender
Riverside, Ca

Attachments

• 1939s.jpg
    1939s.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 969
Upvote 0
B

Brush Creek

Here in Kentucky I have only found one S mint mark penny Detecting. It was a 1917-s
Found it at a old home site.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Welcome to the Forum.

Nice find and that’s one heck of photo. What kind of camera are you using, and what's the MP rating?

For the mean time you should be able to find some good coins at the Victorian demo's or rehabs not far form the U of Red, both N and S of the Freeway. It might take a little asking if it's posted or not City Property but sidewalks and parking strips are fair game.

HH

I've always wanted to hunt those home sites over on SB and CA Avenues, the one's in the old groves. I just never stopped.

OP
OP
wirebender

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
yeah, I will have to do that sometime, but I have no experience for asking, any tips on that?

Ant said:
Welcome to the Forum.

Nice find and that’s one heck of photo. What kind of camera are you using, and what's the MP rating?

For the mean time you should be able to find some good coins at the Victorian demo's or rehabs not far form the U of Red, both N and S of the Freeway. It might take a little asking if it's posted or not City Property but sidewalks and parking strips are fair game.

HH

I've always wanted to hunt those home sites over on SB and CA Avenues, the one's in the old groves. I just never stopped.

OP
OP
wirebender

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
ok here are some quick tips.
most (new) digital cameras will work, the photo I took was with a cheap canon powershot. about 200$
even know I have a large SLR with a macro lens and ring flash for my profession, that is overkill.(unless I need to see scratch lines for grading!)
the mega pixel on the camera was 6 MP, but MP is not key to getting a good photo. (a 3 MP will be fine, but about 5-6 is good enough, no need to higher) In fact the photo I posted I downsized the MP to make it smaller.
Lights and focus is the key.
make you you have the macro mode on (usually a little flower button or option on the camera) this will help you focus on the item when the camera is closer then about 2 feet.
there are so many photos I see on here that the focus is off, usually on the ground behind the coin and the hand and coin are out of focus. the macro mode will help this. also take photos on a flat surface , not in the hand if possible about about 90 degree angle will give good results.
don't have a direct light above the coin, usually about 60 degree from source so you get no reflection, but a super small shadow instead. just use a desk light will work fine, no need to purchase any expensive photo lights.
TURN OFF the flash! the flash will be very hard to get good results!
Sorry, but scanning coins or objects with a scanner will produce only fair results, a cheap digital camera is best.
Position the coins in the normal position!! make the coin with the date on the bottom and able to view.
DON'T OVER compress the image, yes I know this is the hard part, the forums only allow a 256k limit to size, so most coins will have to be resized. try to crop as much first instead of recompressing, but only recompress or save when it still too large. usually a mid-level JPEG compression will be fine, don't do low level or quality.

hope some of this helps.

Wirebender
Riverside, Redlands, CA

halfdime said:
Nice photo and find. I'd love to post nice pictures like that!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Welcome to Tnet. Great coin and photo. Thanks for the tips. Don't worry, your coin count and finds will improve with your skill level, the more you get out there the more you'll find. I know there has to be a metal detectinng club in the Riverside area, join one if you can. As far as getting permissin to hunt somebodys yard, just knock on the door, be very polite, and ask. Tell them about your hobby and how you have been driving by their place for years and how you have always thought about being able to sarch their yard. The first few time you'll stumble, we all have, but after that you'll get the feel for it. After all, they either say no or they say yes. Just don't do it in the summer time, it kills the grass. HH

Desertfox

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Welcome to TNet, wirebender!

Great photo and a nice coin, still a lot of detail left.

Looking forward to future posts and pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Excellent picture, thank you for the tips. I hope you find some goodies with your MD!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yeah, thanks for the tips.

The first thing you might need to do is study the California Tresspassing Law, as well as the California Statute concerning Lost Property.

Most of those sites have been abandon and have become city, county or some other municipalities property. And if it's not posted, fenced or under cultivation they are fair game. I ask or let near by residences know my intentions if they can see.

As far as the Victorians go, to get into the owner's yard, you need to knock and ask. You can also send out letters with request, contact the real-estate agents for permission and or contractors, etc. Someone has a draft letter around here somewhere and some people post adds on crageslist..

P

Pentico

Thank you for the tips.
Now I know what the little flower thingy is.

Pentico

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and awesome photo. Ol' Abe looks like he's about to start talking. Thanks for the tips, too.

HH

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Nice coin and a great pic!

MacManOhio

Jul 31, 2006
Cincinnati, Oh
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2
Just a heads up to those wanting to take good pictures of coins.

Don't use a camera! That's right, use a flatbed scanner if you have one. Don't get me wrong, cameras are great for a lot of things, but you will never be able to shoot a picture in macro or any other mode as well as a flat bed scanner. They are a lot less expensive than cameras and capture quite a bit more detail.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice photos ! and a great coin to congrats ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions