Found Out About A Cache Near My Home

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Western New York near a Gorge that is about 7 miles or so long. Back when the French claimed the land around this area, the Native Americans were fighting to keep them out of their native land. There was a French Fort about five miles from my house. A group of French soldiers in the 1700's were transporting bags of gold coins to pay the soldiers at the fort. They had to portage from their ship in Lake Erie, three miles away, to the fort. They were set upon by a group of Natives, and were forced into th gorge, where they buried the gold and made their way through the gorge and climbed out at the fort.
The gorge was patrolled by the natives to block any further incursions through their land, so the French were never able to recover their gold coins. No one has ever found them. I think I will spend part of next Summer in the gorge I guess. It would be fun to look for it.
If anyone wants to read about it:
https://wizzley.com/legends-of-lost-treasure-in-chautauqua-county-new-york/

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b018a853-5517-4257-a61c-0d3c96bf66d5

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go get it man !!! Good luck

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great! I hope you find it!

OP
OP
Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say this is a loooong shot. This gorge is really cool. I have spent many hours there, and if I'd known, I would have bought a metal detector years ago. This is a very interesting little corner of the country. I don't know of any caves in the gorge, but not all reports that I've read about it mentions a cave.
I would look for interesting formations for markers. That has been made more difficult. We have a very talented sculptor who lives on the rim of the gorge. He has spent years hiking the gorge and doing some really cool rock stacking in his travels. I have hauled some beautiful large rocks out of the gorge and made a cool rock bench on top of a huge root on an old growth Maple that overhangs my creek, inspired by his work.
I can't imagine what it would feel like to expose old bags of gold coins. New York has a law that any gold or silver that You find belongs to the state. I think if I did find it, no one could ever hear about it. I would probably take an extended vacation down south and make eBay selling my new hobby. I don't think I 'll need to worry about it though. He may have been stacking rocks all this time while searching for the cache!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread