Found Possible 1830 Silver/Silver Plated Platter.

Offlimits

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this platter in my back yard as a kid and stored it away as my treasure. I recently rediscovered my find. I have looked over the entire thing and can not find any makers mark or silver mark, only the numbers on the back (1830 16). Under some of the deeper scratches, it still appears to be silver. It is 16" wide and 12" high and feels heavy for a platter this size. Can anyone help me find out anything about it? Thanks in advance for any answers you share.
Below is 4 photos.
Platter1.jpgplatter3.jpgPlatter 2.jpgPlatter 4.JPG

Last edited:
Can't access the pics. You need to make them smaller and post them here.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Judging by the designs, your tray appears to have been made during the Victorian era. Judging by the photos, it looks to be silver plated, but I can't tell without holding it in my hand. If you would clean it with some silver polish, (I recommend Wright's Silver Polish) you will be able to tell if it is silver or silver plate. Silver will not have any 'brown or burnished' looking areas. Silver basically comes out of the ground the way it goes in MINUS the tarnish.

I found a tray with similar marking of the Roman soldier head. This particular one was engraved for a fireman's dedication. Be sure to post some pics after you have cleaned/polished it. Here's the link:
Fireman 1868 Dedication Huge Victorian Silverplate Tray | eBay

Tray1.jpg

Neat save, Breezie

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with Breezie. It shouldn't be too difficult to have it tested somewhere near you and dealers will generally test for free (if they think they might have a chance at it).

Upvote 0
Noble metals need a noble metal base, so most plated silver was over a base of copper.
FInd a worn spot and check, or you can make a small, discreet spot yourself.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back