Found ring #2 today. Not sure what its made of

Lbcwanabe

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this about 3" down right at the waters edge. Salt water that is... It does not show any signs of corrosion, but does show some discoloration that i have not been able to clean with toothpaste or dish soap. Also tried boiling it with baking soda and nothing so im sure it is not silver.

Toothpaste did get most of the grime off and turn it a nice golden color with some silvirsh tarnish around the edges. Any ideas what it is made of? It has grooves on the inside of the band that run parallel and the stones look like onyx. There are no hallmarks. sorry for the crappy pic, russ
e5577428.jpg

65c4c14d.jpg

26513448.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant help with the ID,but a small hit with a file may give ya some more answers. still a good looking ring :wink:

OP
OP
L

Lbcwanabe

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It shows remarkably little corrosion from the saltwater. If you look at the pic of it laying on its side you can see little portions of it have started to turn almost silver. The vdi is between 35-37. Sadly, no acid for w file test

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Could be rhodium plated, like most stainless diver's watches, etc. It will withstand saltwater, and is very durable. What color are those stones in person? They look brown in the photo.

Greg

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no jeweler, but could be gold plated? Brass. Still awesome .

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No clue if it's gold or not but still a nice looker and a good find for sure.............................

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Stones maybe topaz (only brown stones I can think of). Can't help on the metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread