Found S Proofs

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I'm new to the forum but have been looking around here for over a month, so Hey! I just started crhing about a month ago after reading peoples finds on this forum and its been pretty rough so far but I'll share this story. The first week of doing this I picked up $180 of cwrolls at one of the local banks. I found 3 40% kennedys, but I also found 40-45 S Proofs ranging in dates from 1971 to 2007 almost all in UC condition. At the time I did not really know what proofs were but I knew these coins were different because I noticed the S and the profile looked so much better and was very white looking. So I looked up some of the coins on the internet and saw what they were, I got real excited and understood that this was an unusual find. Actually one of the rolls was all Proofs all 20 of them. Most of the proofs were so nice that when I found 6-7 beat up proofs i just threw them back in with the rest of the trash. ( I dont know why I did that sry) The other cool thing that I did not realize at the time was that 80-90% of those $180 worth of rolls were all NIFC 2002 and later, which I picked out the best of those and threw about 40-50 back into the trash pile) lol sry again. I did not know they were nifc at the time. I did keep alot of good stuff out of that first batch of rolls I bought though and I've learned alot since then about all Kennedy's, mintage numbers, errors, etc. Since then I've searched almost 18K of boxes and cwr and only found about 10 proofs. So that was a great proof find I think, just wish I could have better luck with silver coins. Out of the 18K worth I've netted 2 64's 1 Ben and about 9 40%'s, and 1 74 DDO. Alot of competition here so cwr's have been really bad except that first time, when I got somebody who turned in daddys coins and took all the silver but left the proofs and nifc's. Hope you enjoyed that story

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you just want to, I personally don't think there is any reason whatsoever to keep the scratched/bad condition proofs and/or NIFC. There likely is a reason all of those coins were dumped. There really is not much of a market for these coins, and there may never be.

I recently watched 2 lots of NIFC halves on ebay that never received a single bid and were relisted at a lower price a few times. One of those lots in the end was priced at ~70 cents per coin (all XF-AU+) with free shipping. Not 1 bid did it receive. As for the proofs, most proof sets can be bought very cheaply. Why would anyone in his/her right mind pay a premium for an impaired proof half dollar, when they can buy the whole unimpaired proof set for ~$4?

I've kept about 2 of the finest examples I've found of each date and mintmark NIFC half and thrown back literally thousands of the rest. I have kept every very good condition proof I've came across, but that only adds up to about 50 coins, and thats about enough for me. At 100 coins max, I'll downgrade that collection as well. I just can't see tying up a lot of money in coins that I personally do not expect to increase in value.

With all of that said, collect what you like. It does not have to be about "profit."

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw them back. If my coin dealer dies not buy them I do not see the point in keeping them.

But this is just my opinion.

OP
OP
S

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least your finding some silver. Good luck and welcome to tnet.

Thanks Wheat Yeah I am finding "some" but it has not been worth the effort up to this point as far as silver goes. I know I'm sifting through a low yield hobby that was already looted, but I'm thinking if I keep at it and do high volume I'll eventually come across some big finds that will make it worth it. It has been fun for my wife and kids though finding the occasional silver and the proofs. Being late to the party is better than not going to the party at all though, right? lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread