Found some 50 cals and....

tb

Mar 24, 2005
?
? Hit the beach for a little while today.? Tide was veryyyy low.? Didn't have much luck, but then I started getting beeps in an area about 30' by 10'.? Pulled out the .50 cal bullets and another unknown bullet,? I took a comparison shot next to one of the .50's, maybe a .30 caliber?? Found some bits and pieces of shrapnel.? And then I started getting soft, but strong hits.? They were whole pieces (round fully intact) of artillery? Most of them were a foot deep in the wet sand.? Maybe they were training rounds, it didn't look like anything out of a 5" inch gun.? It was just the "bullet" part, no shell casings.? They were about 8 inches long by 2 inches round and had a fairly blunt nose.? Needless to say I wasn't sure what exactly they were so they were thrown back in the ocean.? I found about 7 of those.? I found 2 that did look like they were meant to be fired out of a naval gun and they went back to sea, as they where whole.? I'm not an expert on old rusty military rounds.? Lastly, the big one I kept,? looks like it had exploded, if it is in fact a piece of artillery.? All of these I found at the low tide mark.

tb

I have got to work on my lighting for the pics, sorry about that!

Attachments

• .501.JPG
    .501.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 317
  • .502.JPG
    .502.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 316
  • .503.JPG
    .503.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 316
  • .504.JPG
    .504.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
TB,

interesting finds.

Where is the general area you are working? Understand if you would rather not say.

Again, interesting.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
T

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Hey Shermanville,

I go to Virginia Beach, VA. I suspect these rounds came from an area known as "Dam Neck". Lots of firing practice went on there in years past and some still today. My father and grandfather would go to the area just north of there when my dad was a kid and pick up spent .30 cals in the dunes. My father said that they were everywhere back then, now it's all houses.

tb

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some of those big bullets when I went to the beach too! :D

Glad you got to get out today! Every day at the beach has to be a good one!!!

Nana ;)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome finds!! I would have taken the big rounds home instead of throwing them back, could have been artillery! I dont think they would be live if there was no cartridge attached unless they were a round with the powder inside the shell?

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There were practice ranges all along the East and other coasts during WW2. We have them here in Ct. too. You have hit a practice range and the 5" shells probably were solid shot (not explosive), used for target practice, as there was no use in blowing up the targets, just testing for accuracy. There are ranges like that in desert areas also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread