found some bottles .....

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
So I found this place where the bottles are literally laying right on the ground. I spent 4 hours on Tuesday canvasing the side of a hill looking for them and I think I did pretty well. The auqua colored one was the nicest - really it was sticking out of the bank in nearly perfect condition.
Take a look and let me know what you think.

new bottles.png

thanks for looking,

mark (AKA ivy_walls)

Attachments

• new bottles.png
    new bottles.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 609

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
You found a real nice dump!! I would say 1920's is my guess for age... what is the embossing on the one medicine? also do any of the other bottles have embossing? I would be ecstatic if I found that dump

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow Ivy nice bottles. Looks like a Sloans Liniment to me. The others look like soda bottles. Kinda like the Orange Crush ones we find from the 1920-30's. But the unembossed one to the right looks older, possibly 1890's. And the blob top style one towards the back looks older as well. The smaller one up front with the seams all the way over the top is a later utility bottle. Looks like you stumbled up on a nice dump area.
Can you dig into the ground a bit further or is it off limits? It would be nice to excavate that area. Congrats on what ya got so far. :thumbsup: jgas

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
You've found a good site..

I can see at least one of the bottles is turning purple from magnesium content/sun exposure. 70% of bottles like that date to the 1890s. Dig carefully and dig deeper. Make a sifter from two by fours and 1/4" galvanized metal screen available from any hardware store. You'll go nuts from what you find. I sifted my sight yesterday and found a silver 1945 quarter. Do NOT throw away any antique marbles you find.

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: You've found a good site..

Marbleguy said:
I can see at least one of the bottles is turning purple from magnesium content/sun exposure. 70% of bottles like that date to the 1890s. Dig carefully and dig deeper. Make a sifter from two by fours and 1/4" galvanized metal screen available from any hardware store. You'll go nuts from what you find. I sifted my sight yesterday and found a silver 1945 quarter. Do NOT throw away any antique marbles you find.
Who the h*ll throws away marbles? :icon_scratch:
Wouldn't that just be stupid?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: You've found a good site..

mile-ender said:
Marbleguy said:
Who the h*ll throws away marbles? :icon_scratch:
Wouldn't that just be stupid?
You would be surprised what people throw away as junk... I remember in chat a few years back one guy throw away a civil war or older button..can't remember exact details anymore an another throw away a civil war U.S. box plate as junk...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles,next thing to do is to either take a broom or a leaf blower out there and find more :laughing7:,happy hunting. :thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took a look and I like what I see. Now get out there and hit that site hard. Good luck!

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
excellent find. Do you know any of the history of the area? I find personally that the story about how they got there can be very interesting at times.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a nice start! I like the aqua bottle too! Others have suggested sifting the area, that's a great idea. Wish I'd done that digging dumps when I was younger, although I did find a nice pair of early bi-focals, the frames were gold with German script on them. Perfect shape, I can't locate them to this day.

Pontil

Greenie
Jan 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
AS far as marbles being thrown away....Back in the day kids would use slingshots with marble ammunition to break the bottles.I cant even say how many marbles i have found over the years in dumps. It seems the chose the best bottles to shatter to. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions