Found something at the park

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Finally got out to test an area.. The weather was cooperative. And I finally hit something I thought was worthy of posting. If someone wanted to chime in about how to clean and preserve it I would be appreciative. It's my first decent find out of the park. I'll be paying a lot more attention to the area the next time out (in about 15 mins!). I do not think the pictures do the coin justice. It is sharp, with the roof tiles well defined. The trees on the sides are clear. The crest is also very clear and defined. Looks like it may have been dropped fairly close to the time it was minted, given the condition. I am happy, to say the least.

Attachments

• Canada Token - Front.jpg
    Canada Token - Front.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,822
  • Canada Token - Back.jpg
    Canada Token - Back.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,773
Upvote 0

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
ilion,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra Pro, Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats nice i want one now lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking coin and a hydrogen peroxide soak with some brushing will clean it up nice.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Good looking coin and a hydrogen peroxide soak with some brushing will clean it up nice.

Yep, that will definately benefit from so HP...lots of detail under the crud!!!

Great find!

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the tip on Hydrogen Peroxide. Haven't tried that on any coin yet so I'll go to the forum to get the lowdown. I found the coin at about 3-4 inches tops. The soil where I dug it was very much like clay at about 3", top soil above it. If I had dug it in other areas of the park it would have been shot. I'll have topost the collection of quarters dimes and pennies from the marsh.

I went back later today and dug some cut nails -- they looked like they came right out of the hardware store. I'll be working this area hard now. At least it will be clean of debris.

Once I clean the coin I will re-post the outcome. Thanks again for the tip.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That copper is in great shape ! I found one last summer ! It is toast ! I just barely I.D. It . You would have to be some lucky to find a Bank of Montreal half Penny token in better shape than that one ! Here is a pic of mine ! At least what is left of it ! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• fall 2009 finds 003.jpg
    fall 2009 finds 003.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 1,549

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
That is definitely the best canadian token of any province Iv'e seen dug.
Very nice!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking half penny :icon_thumleft: the one i dug at a old home site last year 1837 Canadian half penny bank token is toasted no HP will help that but its still a keeper.Good hunt :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1837 Canada half penny bank token reverse.jpg
    1837 Canada half penny bank token reverse.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,479

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
My Avatar shows one of two I found last year. Strange they were both 1844 just like yours. Found in two separate parts of the county I live in. In Indiana, I guess not too far from Canada. I put mine in a hot peroxide bath as well. They turned out decent. Congrats on a cool find. I am sure there is more there.. :thumbsup: jgas

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Yep, that will definately benefit from so HP...lots of detail under the crud!!!

Great find!

I concur :icon_thumright:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Deepdiger60 said:
Great looking half penny :icon_thumleft: the one i dug at a old home site last year 1837 Canadian half penny bank token is toasted no HP will help that but its still a keeper.Good hunt :thumbsup:
Your's look just like the two I found.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice un :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm turning into a bit of a wimp about cleaning this coin. 1) I have not done the peroxide soak before, 2) I am concerned about the cleaning vs. the value. While I will never sell the coin (even if I knew it was a valuable coin--I think coins are works of art), I am fearful I will do something to damage it while trying to run the peroxide soak. I have been trying other coins and they seem to clean well enough, but I don't know if I can do this one without damage. Yep...call me Mr. Perdue...I'm chicken. I may try it later on, but for now I am just letting it soak in clean fltered water right now.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
I'm turning into a bit of a wimp about cleaning this coin. 1) I have not done the peroxide soak before, 2) I am concerned about the cleaning vs. the value. While I will never sell the coin (even if I knew it was a valuable coin--I think coins are works of art), I am fearful I will do something to damage it while trying to run the peroxide soak. I have been trying other coins and they seem to clean well enough, but I don't know if I can do this one without damage. Yep...call me Mr. Perdue...I'm chicken. I may try it later on, but for now I am just letting it soak in clean fltered water right now.

If you happy with it, then leave it. It does look to be a great candidate for the peroxide though. The second pic it looks kind of brown? It's impossible to tell from the picture but sometimes that stuff is caked on pretty solid and hard to remove. The hp will definitely not hurt the coin with the exception of possibly not getting all of it off if the brown is the nasty brown. Chances are it would be much better.

PS.... Don't worry about the $$$ value because it has none. ;D If I had dug it I'm pretty sure it would be beautiful by now. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread