Found something today, inside a past find.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will remember this grand old padlock from a few days ago.

2014 (221).jpg

But, that's not what I found today.

2014 (222).jpg

I heard something rattling around in the lock.
It was these two small pieces of what I now believe
is bits of a key! Now how neat is that?!?

I managed to fish them out through the keyhole.

2014 (224).jpg 2014 (225).jpg

I also found that with a bit of cleaning and a small amount of WD40,
The blooming thing would still work!! LOL

2014 (223).jpg

One last thing, I'd like opinions. I know that cleaning a coin is an absolute no-no! LOL
But, how about an ancient lock? Would restoring and polishing it up be a wrong thing?

This is the last update on this find but I'm finding that I really, really like this lock! Maybe, there's a place in
my heart for relics as well. ;)

Thanks for peeking!

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool.... I really don't know about "cleaning up" but some spray sealant in the end might help discourage future rust....?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool.... I really don't know about "cleaning up" but some spray sealant in the end might help discourage future rust....?

It seems that this entire lock is made of brass. I mean, inside and out. Is that strange?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a surprise! It's really cool when you can get something old you find to work! Gives you a real sense of accomplishment. If it's not exceptionally valuable and you like it, make it shine if you want.
Wonder how many of our present day locks would survive a hundred years or more in the ground! Lol! Guess we'll just have to leave digital records of our existence ! :laughing7:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice lock! Looks like it has some size to it. I've never found one that was completely brass. Awesome find :icon_thumright:

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that both "key" pieces seem to be broke in the same place, it makes you wonder if the lock was designed with this "key" flaw in mind. Fishing them out like you did, could they have gone to the bottom of the lock and out of the way of the tumblers to the lock? Maybe the open space to allow up to 5.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure those aren't pieces of the lock mechanism? Those are strange looking if they were broken off of a key. Really awesome find though.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that both "key" pieces seem to be broke in the same place, it makes you wonder if the lock was designed with this "key" flaw in mind. Fishing them out like you did, could they have gone to the bottom of the lock and out of the way of the tumblers to the lock? Maybe the open space to allow up to 5.

Of course, I'm just guessing. But, the way I have them situated in the pic are how I think they were on a key. To me, they almost look like they could have been joined at one time. :dontknow: About designing a lock with thoughts of a key breaking off? Never heard of that before. Who knows? :dontknow:

You sure those aren't pieces of the lock mechanism? Those are strange looking if they were broken off of a key. Really awesome find though.

I can see inside the lock through the openings and although I can't see everything, I kind of doubt it. Still, it's possible. Might have had small springs inside too at one time. Which could've turned to dust. I honestly don't know. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread