Found Sterling Ring ..... Need Help on Age ??

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Today I went to an old property that was one of the first schools in the area and is now a church. I have been hitting it hard again since i got my new SE cause I have been finding more wheats in the grounds behind the church. The school closed when I was in 1st grade almost 40 yrs ago (1970) and Ive been told it was immediately swarmed by the MDers of the day. There is probably about 20 acres or so with a baseball field and playground. I had been focused on the ball field but not finding much so I moved over to an area kind of close to a BIG old oak tree. Almost on que I found a 1941 wheat at about 4 inches. Then a couple more steps and I got this signal that kept telling me maybe a quarter, maybe silver but bouncing around a little. When I got down about 8 inches I saw the silver gleaming out of the hole at me. I scooped it up and stuck it in my pocket cause I knew what it was and that I didn't want to mess it up by rubbing off the dirt. Here it is when I got home ......

ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

ring3.jpg

The reason I am curious about the age is it almost looks hand carved, as funny that may sound. You see clearly in this picture that the hole was stamped out leaving material behind on the ring .....

ring4.jpg

By the way it also looks like it was stamped sterling when it was still flat. I don't know if that's how it always done or not, but found it interesting ....

ring5.jpg

Thanks for looking and I appreciate any info our ring EXPERTS can give !!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice find! Those silver rings really make the detector sing! I often get a .25 or .50 signal when I find them.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find. Sorry, can't help with the age.

;) RR

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Circa 1910-1930. As I recall styles of these can be found in old Sears catalogs. Nice find!

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
at1cad said:
Circa 1910-1930. As I recall styles of these can be found in old Sears catalogs. Nice find!

thanks at1cad ...... thats about the era i was figuring it to be also !!

Mark

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,
Congrats on the beautiful ring. Thanks for taking the great photos too. Very nice find.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread