FOund this baby Monday on the home place.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
It's not a detecting find but it's a keeper. I was out talking to a surveyor working on the RV Park sale when I spotted this arrow head in the dirt just off the edgdeof my overflow parking area. My Grandfather had found three others on the place between 1939 & 1963 when he passed away. Fort Hennritta in Echo, Oregon is just 3 miles from here on the Oregon Trail. There were Indian battles in the area in the 1870's, but it is hard to visualize that now days. No matter! It's a keeper anyway. Haven't had any time to detect since last Sunday, two more round trips to Portland. Yugh! Spotz

Attachments

• Arrow Head.jpg
    Arrow Head.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0
D

distelrath

WTG Spotz!

I have yet to find an arrowhead, although I've been picking through rocks for countless hours. Well done! I've been meaning to call you I found a promising looking site in Nashville too. I am still looking forward to finding some good stuff with ya. I will try to give you a call sometime this weekend.

You take care!
Ryan

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice find Spotz! ?I spent the last three decades in the middle of archeology central, with my eyes to the ground, and still haven't found my first arrowhead. ?Lots of other artifacts, but no arrowheads. ?:'( ?Way to spot 'em spotz~CO2

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
funny as Ive found more arrowheads in Okla then anywhere else just walking around.But lots of pottery sherds in Az.I even found a steel point detecting in one of Custers Black Hills Expedition Camp from 1873....

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I have found a few, less than a dozen, around the area, within five miles or so, over the past 40 or so years. I know people who have found a lot of them but I am more than happy to have the few I'v found. It's a little more special to have found it on the home place though. The ones found by my Grandad disappeared when he passed away. One of my Uncles who is now gone also took them & I never saw them again.

I am working on consent to hunt an old Gold field area Stage Station that is located on a mountain meadow where my friend says he used to find them by the bucket full. There is an Indian burial ground a few hundred yards away but to touch one of those in Oregon is an open invitation to huge trouble. Hope to get on this site this summer. Spotz

Ryan! I'll talk to you this week.

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
yeah it is special that way.....good luck on the stage station.I hunted one in Colo and found my best point near the adobe ruins.

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I found one of those a while ago while i was digging up an old out house. :-[ it was kinda gross but its rly awsome! nice find!!

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
The bad thing is if I saw this one you found I would have walked right past it because it don`t look like a regular arrow head. I guess I need to rethink the shapes I am looking for. HH

This is most likely a scraper and not an arrowhead, If you want to learn more and see more pix of injun stuff go to New Treasure Depot and click Indian Artifacts.

HH.

root

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
I hate to sound dumb but what is a scraper used for? <<<<

I'm not an expert but a couple of uses would be scraping bark off of arrows,scraping meat from the bone.etc. etc. And by the way,there are no dumb questions,just dumb answers.

root

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Any really good Indian artifact is a nice find and the scraper you found looks to be in darn good shape.
When you find Indian camp grounds use your MD while hunting for points.
You will be surprised at the copper and brass they also used,I alway swing my MD while hunting arrowheads.
Now if I can make a arrowhead detector I'll be rich. ;D

HH
Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread