Found this button a few hunts back...any thoughts?

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• 20130527_110905.jpg
    20130527_110905.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 71

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure its a modern civilian Blazer button.What does the back look like?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jyt2017

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Back is blank, just has piece for threading. Worthless?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is definitely a 20th-Century semi-imitation of the actual US Navy button, made for use on civilian coats/jackets/blazers. As you suspected, they have no value to Military button-collectors, because they are only a civilian-usage imitation of an actual military button. They are still being made, and can be bought at sewing-supplies stores like JoAnn Crafts & Fabrics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jyt2017

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Bummer, but cool find no less. Thanks for help. hh an gl -Joe

Upvote 0

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Everyone here is great and whenever I have a question at anytime for anything I have questions about this is the first place I ask ! But I have to say that I knew this was a modern blazer button cause of the condition . Authentic buttons when dug look quite a bit nasty compared to yours . Unless the button was stored or a family heirloom .
It would be nice if someone has a link or post pictures of all military buttons from Revolutionary War through Civil War . Does any body out there have a good link or pictures to post ? Again , these members are Treasure Detectives and my number 1 source for information .. They are all GREAT ! Woodstock

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woodstock wrote:
> It would be nice if someone has a link or post pictures of all military buttons
> from Revolutionary War through Civil War.

Woodstock, there is no such website. The best available is the Ridgeway Civil War Reference Archive, at:
The Civil War Relicman, Harry Ridgeway
Go there, scroll a long way down to the Reference Archive, click on it, then scroll down to the Buttons section.

Another dealer has a website which shows American military buttons from 1776 to 1865. As noted, it's a dealer's buttons-for-sale catalog, but in addition to the ones which are for sale, he keeps a LOT of photos of sold ones to serve as aid to diggers & collectors for button-ID.
Civil war buttons,antique buttons,revolutionary war buttons,confederate buttons.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread