Found this cleaning my van this morning

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Wondering if it's a trade point. Any thoughts ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1498172339.170318.jpg
Thanks for the look

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those holes make me think not...why would it be in your van?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, holes are extremely common in brass/copper trade points here in New England. They are sometimes interpreted as aides in hafting, and it has also been suggested that this allowed them to be strung when not hafted, and carried on a strand that way. I just saw you are from the Vineyard. Yes, I have seen that style often in these parts. I would say it is a trade point, and a very nice one.....

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As seen in the artifact guide for southern New England, various styles of brass/copper trade points. Note that two are perforated. If you don't know how it got in your van, maybe a previous owner found it, or you forgot finding it. At any rate, yes, it's a 17th century trade point....

IMG_8052.JPG

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Charl is right, a very nice Trade Point. The shape suggests that it was made specifically for trade by a skilled metal worker and not one cut chiseled from a piece of kettle scrap. The two holes also make it unique, as they usually one.
Super find!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are a few of my own, from a 17th century Seneca Iroquois site in New York State. Surface hunting, I have found two in RI over the years, and they were both cut from sheet metal. The Native men obtained brass and copper kettles from the English and earlier, the Dutch, and rather then give those kettles to the women, for use as vessels, they cut them up and made points, etc. from them....

FF0704B8-59B4-43D4-B893-8D0CE76615B7-1144-000000A884066BC7.jpeg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It certainly looks like a trade point. I assume you found it metal detecting?

It might be worth researching, if you are interested, if contact era items have been found on Martha's Vineyard. Trade goods like that existed in specific windows/lenses of time, and on islands those lenses are usually compressed and well defined. I wouldn't be surprised if you could narrow it down to 30 year or so window of time where an item like that would have been in use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread