Found this copper nail/stake? While diving in abaco bahamas

daveyboy$32

Feb 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg
Anyone ever seen one of these? Like I said I was diving and stumbled upon this thing. I was hoping it was something old and maybe even worth something. I did some research and couldn't find nothing like it new or old. It's almost 7 inches long 3/4 inch thick and the head is about 1 1/2 inches wide. Pretty sure it's copper all the way through. I would appreciate any info. I'm no treasure hunter but did I find some treasure? Thanks

writehardest

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper find in Abaco

Interesting find. Most of the spikes I've seen for ships/boats are square (but I'm not expert on them at all). Rare to find a hunk of copper (assuming it's solid) at that size. Copper has corrosion resistance and is/was quite common for use with ships. But in my humble opinion, this size and round shape is a little unusual (from my limited observations). It's possible to see galvanized round spikes, and other assorted metals used in piers or shore-based construction works... Where did you find it in Abaco? Beach or dive/snorkel? Atlantic ocean side? Or sea of Abaco? In particular, which Cay? This could help figure out what is there or was there historically, and also may help consider the possibility of whether currents brought it from somewhere near or far.

Let us know. Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread