Found this crazy red color inside of a boulder I was trying to move while sluicing.

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it was some kind of granite or maybe a gneiss rather, but I was just moving it and saw this crazy red color like inside if that makes sense. Anyways, I decided to take a sample so I chipped off a piece for identification. Originally I thought maybe it was like a garnet vein, but that's clearly wrong. Anyone know what it is or if not how I can figure out what it is?

Oops - Link http://imgur.com/a/VvXwA

Last edited:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
IMG_0006.JPG

The reddish color looks like rose quartz to me, but I don't know how that could occur without any being on the outside, not being very good at geology stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eons ago, the red veins were cracks in the boulder's parent rock. Under great pressure &/or heat, the cracks were filled in by minerals that either oozed out out of the surrounding rock or were forced into the cracks from completely different rocks.

Can you break it along a seam to expose more of it?

I'm guessing it is quartz, chalcedony etc. with iron impurities, but I'm just guessing - if it won't break through the vein, it indicates the vein likey has a higher silica content than the boulder itself.

I'm no expert, but I love purty rocks (& distractions like this have kept a lot of material from running across my riffles)

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Garnet, looks like metamorphic rock.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not clear as to why I was attacked by NHBENZ
I simply mentioned I don't open attachments for security issues - viruses
don't recall making accusations of any one doctoring images, nor do I intentionally insult
Please explain why you have attacked me - I don't know you
as to the this post, I have no experience in rocks, so I don't respond, I just view
If you have a beef with me, the adult thing would be to PM me
To my fellow TN members, I'm very sorry for this post, I'm just trying to defend myself
Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread