sandfisherman

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2017
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Exuinox 800, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this on the Treasure Coast a few weeks ago. The cross on the medallion is known as a "cross fleury," and it is an ancient design, but that does not mean this piece cannot be modern. The acid test showed silver but not conclusively .99 pure more like .800 or in-between. No marking on it at all and it is smooth on the back side.
Anyone seen this type of medallion before. I found in on the high tide line with my CTX3030

IMG_1613.JPG

OP
OP
sandfisherman

sandfisherman

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2017
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Exuinox 800, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It does look similar...I could contact the company and see if they made one exactly like the one I found.
Thanks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the crosses ends are of a French / Spanish (house of Bourbon) fur de lis style ...the French king took over the Spanish crown in 1701 (when his cousin died with no heir)--trying to rule both countries at the same time --the other European powers went to war with Spain saying this was too much power in 1 set of hands ..the war lasted from 1701 to 1714 --this war kept Spain from sending home treasure fleets from cuba for several years --which is why the 1715 fleet was so overloaded with treasure ..it was several years worth of treasure all at once..

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found this on the Treasure Coast a few weeks ago. The cross on the medallion is known as a "cross fleury," and it is an ancient design, but that does not mean this piece cannot be modern. The acid test showed silver but not conclusively .99 pure more like .800 or in-between. No marking on it at all and it is smooth on the back side.
Anyone seen this type of medallion before. I found in on the high tide line with my CTX3030

View attachment 1430404

It's a crucifix dog tag. They're popular among Christians.

While I'd definitely be willing to learn more, I'm personally unaware of that particular design/aesthetic existing in jewelry design during the 1715 fleet period. It is, however, quite popular now.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a crucifix dog tag. They're popular among Christians.

While I'd definitely be willing to learn more, I'm personally unaware of that particular design/aesthetic existing in jewelry design during the 1715 fleet period. It is, however, quite popular now.

A lot of dog walkers on the Treasure coast beaches. I think I know most of the dog's names. Let's see there's Rocky and Sassy, brother and sister Yorkies. Then there's Jessie, a Brittany spaniel pup.
Old Bradley, a very friendly Golden Retriever. A couple of mixes I call Blackie and Whitey. If that tag has a name I might know the dog who lost it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dog tag as in humans --ie military type style body ID tags ... LOL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh I get it -- the dogs roaming on the beach with their owners (snow birds) ..just enjoying the joke the play on words --dog tags..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread