OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found more burnt driftwood on the beach with a golden tint this afternoon. More proof that this river is carrying lots of micron gold

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
So hows the experiment coming along?
Any fine gold yet?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went and checked where I smeared Vaseline on a structure in the river last summer and it has a faint yellow tint to it. Didn't want to get my shoes and socks wet for the walk back (couple miles through soft Beach sand) and was already dizzy from the heat. I will scrape the Vaseline and analyze it when I go back a little more prepared

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some places the micron gold is so concentrated that you can actually track the water levels over time based upon the "staining".

Of course it gets washed off the rocks with weather and carried downstream, eventually making it to the ocean.
Hopefully you find an effective process.

Clipboard01.jpg

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some places the micron gold is so concentrated that you can actually track the water levels over time based upon the "staining".

Of course it gets washed off the rocks with weather and carried downstream, eventually making it to the ocean.

View attachment 1339329

I have always suspected that. That is why my curiousity was peaked when I heard the geological surveyors' data. Not 100% sure that the yellow staining is gold yet but at the same time very confident :) (and hopeful!)

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1339329

So the gold is concentrated in the top of the water? This turns everything I thought I understood about gold upside down, literally

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be willing to bet if you were to obtain a sample of micron gold from your yellow stained logs, it would look like this under magnification....

Clipboard01.jpg

Just pulling your leg.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the gold is concentrated in the top of the water? This turns everything I thought I understood about gold upside down, literally

I don't fully understand it either. However we all have seen gold float in a gold pan due to oils. There are a lot of naturally occurring oils in water. That's all I can come up with lol I may be wrong but that would be my guess

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Went and checked where I smeared Vaseline on a structure in the river last summer and it has a faint yellow tint to it. Didn't want to get my shoes and socks wet for the walk back (couple miles through soft Beach sand) and was already dizzy from the heat. I will scrape the Vaseline and analyze it when I go back a little more prepared

Make sure you wear your gloves!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't fully understand it either. However we all have seen gold float in a gold pan due to oils. There are a lot of naturally occurring oils in water. That's all I can come up with lol I may be wrong but that would be my guess

Oil is rarely what makes gold float despite what they teach you in the GPAA. Gold dries out easily due to being naturally water repellent (doesn't need oil for this) due to its atomic structure. When dry, thin pieces of gold will float on water easily but sink soon as disturbed and once wetted won't float again until dried again. If it was an oil coating, they would float again without getting dried out again but they don't. It ain't about oil, mostly, in real life.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oil is rarely what makes gold float despite what they teach you in the GPAA. Gold dries out easily due to being naturally water repellent (doesn't need oil for this) due to its atomic structure. When dry, thin pieces of gold will float on water easily but sink soon as disturbed and once wetted won't float again until dried again. If it was an oil coating, they would float again without getting dried out again but they don't. It ain't about oil, mostly, in real life.

That does make sense. Thanks.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

mercury will also float on water it has another weird habit that it will bounce off the surface of the water, or i should say splash when it first hits the water surface.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. So I pulled the burlap from the river, and burned it in a Pyrex bowl. At first, I saw nothing but ashes from the burnt burlap. Then I started noticing jellybean sized, black charred rocks in the bottom of the glass bowl. They all have a bronze sheen to them under the black charred spots. I know for a fact they weren't stuck to the burlap when I pulled it out of the river so they definitely are a product of the burning burlap. I tried to cut one with a knife, and they are hard as a rock and won't cut. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1469536073152.jpg
    1469536073152.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 1469536089072.jpg
    1469536089072.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 98

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pics are so fuzzy I can't tell if it's a rock or an elk turd.

FWIW, toss the cell phone camera and take the pics with a decent digital camera,
and it would be best to take them in natural light.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics are so fuzzy I can't tell if it's a rock or an elk turd.

FWIW, toss the cell phone camera and take the pics with a decent digital camera,
and it would be best to take them in natural light.

It's the only camera I have. Looked at the rocks under a loupe and saw specks of gold and copper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread