Found this morning on the Knoll 11" down - Round 4 - Miini Digger is here.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Buckle earlier this morning before my Mini Digger arrived. Because of this find, and other variables, we decided it would be better, relic wise, not to take off the top 12" of soil. We are too worried about damaging the targets especially now that I found this Buckle and more Glass.

Here's the pictures - If anyone knows about what era it's from, please let me know.
Knoll Buckle_0001.JPG Knoll Buckle_0002.JPG

I changed the settings on my Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and walked the Knoll again. I was getting hits about every 4" ranging surface deep to full bars deep. We dug some of those targets and found more nails and a few more pieces of the Ball Jar Lid I've been trying to dig up.

Rather than make a total mess of things, we are going to slowly take off the top of the Knoll a little at a time. This will takes us weeks I'm sure but, I think it's the safest way to do this. I'm open to any ideas anyone may have to speed up the process - Uh, we've already thought about dynamite so that's not an option! :)

Thanks for looking!

Cheers.
-DH-

Upvote 8
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture of a few of the items from a bit later in the morning.

Well we are about whipped! We have found 4 Mason Jar Lid pieces but haven't reached the full lid(s) or jar(s) yet. All 4 Mason Jar Lids are in a straight line 11 to 14" down and 3' apart.

We figure since all the lids, so far, are in pieces that the jars are most likely in pieces as well. I have found smaller bits of several different Mason Jar Glass but, that's all right now.

We are scratching our heads on this one. We know it's old as the land records show a home on the back edge of my back lot - 8' forward of the Knoll - and a date of 1880 to 1918. We haven't figured out if this was when the land transferred ownership or if it was when the house was built and the owners resided there until 1918. We plan on doing more research on Monday.

We took time off from the Knoll and headed over to the new park I found and hunted there for a while. We only hunted about 10 minutes as there is a huge stocked mini lake in the park that we just couldn't resist - so nothing new from the park.

Here is a picture of a few of the items - there are a ton more but, I'm sure y'all are getting tired of all the "trashy" pictures. :)

Todays Finds Knoll Mason Jar Lid.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the trash, helps tell the story of the site

There is someone that agrees with me after all. :)

I'll will post more as we finish an area. Will probably be a couple of days before the next post and we're hoping to hit a coinage spill from one of the Mason Jars.

-DH-

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one has me a little stumped. The off-set bar meant it went on leather (belt), so might be person or horse, but it's not a typical horse shaped buckle. It also has an old looking patina & metal type, so 18th C seems pretty likely but they its not the typical shape either. Hence, I'm not sure how to positively ID it.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one has me a little stumped. The off-set bar meant it went on leather (belt), so might be person or horse, but it's not a typical horse shaped buckle. It also has an old looking patina & metal type, so 18th C seems pretty likely but they its not the typical shape either. Hence, I'm not sure how to positively ID it.

I took a closer look at the Buckle and noticed a small scuff mark on it. I wiped away as much dirt as I dared and found it to be made of Brass. Not sure if that helps any as I am not a Buckle aficionado.

Thanks for looking.
-DH-

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a closer look at the Buckle and noticed a small scuff mark on it. I wiped away as much dirt as I dared and found it to be made of Brass. Not sure if that helps any as I am not a Buckle aficionado.

Thanks for looking.
-DH-
Yeap, because it looked a little bronze looking, so maybe falls into the 19th C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for having a look and your input CRUSADER.

-DH-

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Take your time and grid the area in multiple directions, you will be surprised at what you will find on each pass. :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on that buckle she looks old funny thing I found a hill loaded with mason jar lids lol. Your doing great this year keep diggin that history

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread