Found this on a bluff ledge

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was scouting a property I was given permission to hunt and seen a little ledge about 10 ft down a 50 ft bluff. After removing the leaves and raking back the topsoil I found this and a hammerstone. I also found a large chunk of granite that seemed entirely out of place?

I'm more interested in the craft style and what group it may have come from. The location was northern Tennessee.

Thanks. 20181201_133341.jpeg 20181201_134005.jpeg

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Let's see the hammerstone....

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find, Welcome to TNet!!

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is an embarrassing part lol. I ended up slipping off the ledge and rode the mountain for about 40 feet and ended up taking the last 10 foot in the air and ended up with a minor concussion and a still now sore right shoulder lol. In the process what I called a "hammerstone" left my hand and went one way as I went another.

After collecting my pistol that was ejected from my waste band holster and all and recovering my tools (I somehow held onto my walking stick the whole time) I took a brake by the stream at the base of the bluff.

I found two strange rocks within 10 yards of each other. My cousin says they were net weights but I'm not sure of those either. One looked exactly like a dragons head so gave it to the property owner because they love fantasy stuff and the other I included in pics..I did search for the "hammerstone" and found it broken in two..maybe it aint but it is a souvenir now and for sure hammered a stone at the bottom of the cliff lol thank the Lord I ended up in mud! 20181201_210105.jpeg 20181201_210012.jpeg 20181201_210215.jpeg 20181201_210316.jpeg 20181201_210239.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can easily agree with all except for the one piece. I wish you could see it in person. I've shown it to a few people with way more knowledge than myself and they all independently agreed that it was manmade. The only one that offered an opinion on "whom", said "maybe the Celtic Indians".

About 500 yards from the bluff we found some charcoal mounds and an iron deposit on upstream.

The "hammerstone" had "fingergrooves" and looked like it had been smacked on something a few times BEFORE I crashed with it lol also it was very smooth compared to all the other rocks I found on the ledge.

About 5 miles downstream is a cave that has turned out everything from pre Clovis to civil war stuff. Effigies, literally drillbits by the hundreds and has a giant clay snake built up inside made of redclay.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have fallen like that before and never spilled a drop of my 40. lol Glad your ok you could also post these in the rock and gem forum

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome from MI Tommy

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, wish I woulda had had a 40 to not spilt hahaha

It was my first fall like that, I've slid and tumbled shorter distances and normally I woulda used a rope but you know, 25 years ago lol.. I relate it to a motorcycle wreck I had years ago. Other than the lack of road rash it was a very similar experience lol

I always thought the holed rocks was just cool rocks otherwise I wouldn't have gave one away lol but my little cousin just insisted it was something pointing out 90 degree angles, points and more than one very alike at the same site.

Thanks for the recommendation about the other forum section and next time I'm packing me a 40 because it hurt and rattled the brain too much with only water lol.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the Grand Canyon years ago and read a book about all the people that have fallen from taking selfies to not knowing how loose the gravel is ect. I was surprised to see no fencing or very little. Now that would be terror falling that far . Be careful !!!!!!!!!

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What people need to remember is that when objects like this which are of such ambiguity, a picture will never show enough detail to be as effective in person. Unless it’s a sure fire point, axe or related, the rest will be archaeological mires.
Just too difficult to tell via the web....

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah for real...from now on I'm taking the extra 5-10 minutes to use the rope I think.

I haven't went back to that ledge yet and I wasn't done with it when I slipped on the leaves..I just had stored that little piece in my pack and grabbed that chunk of stone still covered in dirt and there I went..there was Not a single other piece of like stone anywhere on the ledge I seen, only chips of red stone.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
there truly is no need do grind out "finger grooves" in a hammer stone. It is not hard at all to find a suitable rock in a creek or glacial till to fit comfortably in the hand to pound with. try it for your self, I have on many occasions needed to pound or break something out in the mountains...any rock will do. Your first rock, though interesting, would serve no purpose as a tool and remains just an interesting, odd rock.I suspect that the many drill bits you are finding may also be not what you suppose. Please post those too so we can chime in. Most tools made by the had of man will not be up for debate, that goes for effigies too.

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there truly is no need do grind out "finger grooves" in a hammer stone. It is not hard at all to find a suitable rock in a creek or glacial till to fit comfortably in the hand to pound with. try it for your self, I have on many occasions needed to pound or break something out in the mountains...any rock will do. Your first rock, though interesting, would serve no purpose as a tool and remains just an interesting, odd rock.I suspect that the many drill bits you are finding may also be not what you suppose. Please post those too so we can chime in. Most tools made by the had of man will not be up for debate, that goes for effigies too.
I never said "fingergrooves" was "pounded out". Rather I meant "it fit my hand perfect and had appearance of being used to tap on something a handful of times". I hate the internet sometimes, its a battle to communicate properly because everybody knows what your saying even when they don't..

I also never said "I found drillbits by the hundreds" but rather that "the cave has given up drillbits by the hundreds" and they was authentic. A college owns the rights to the cave mouth and its protected now but just a while back while I was fishing near the cave, a lady found a perfect crescent point in a wash out. It wasnt a fake or just a rock either. Sometimes when it rains you can sit and watch broke pieces of undeniable points and sometimes near perfect inarguable points wash out.

I'm still going to have to disagree about the one point and I still think that somebody in the past had that big chunk of stone and packed it to the location I found it at and used it to hit on something, likely something wood.

OP
OP
F

FoxFalcon

Greenie
Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those may be Indians who drink a lot of Irish " fire-water ??"
Lol that would do it lol...actually there's a legend about Celtic Indians that's very well known, surprised your unaware. Thomas Jefferson even sent out people to try to find them. Mr. Catlin , an american painter, believed himself that they was here when he discovered traits and architecture reminiscent of the Celts.
They allegedly landed in the gulf area and traveled up through where I live where they was driven northwest by the Cherokee where they lived peacefully with the Shawnee until crap turned sour over a holy area and a skirmish broke out and the Celts was allegedly driven further northwest into the Dakota's..

Surprised y'all ain't at least familiar with the legend, even if you are so ascribed to mainstream knowledge and closed minded to the possibility of the Welsh Indians, id figured you'd still known of it...?

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every day someone is on here with a similar story. Some see the tide is turning but apparently it’s gonna take a tidal wave for others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread