found this penny...

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
picture.php

Went to two parks this morning, very humid outside. Found a lot of clad, oldest coin found a 1951D nickel and this penny that appears to be off center the reverse side looks normal...Total in coins $3.33.
HH,
~Audiz~

Upvote 0

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad had 8 or 10 pennys stamped off center from the early 70's when he ran a little country store.
He's gone now and I don't what He every done with them...

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not off-center strike. That would have just one rim around the entire coin.

Congratulations! You have found a 1972 Doubled Die Obverse cent. You should be able to see some doubling in the motto, as well as around the rim. Two different rims involved, one higher than the other.

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Unfortunately, I do not think that is a double die. It just looks like an off center strike to me and I they are fairly common :(

Here is a picture of a 72 Double Die penny...

1972centddo.jpg

If you do not feel drunk when you look a them, they probably are not double die's.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Tuberale said:
Not off-center strike. That would have just one rim around the entire coin.

Congratulations! You have found a 1972 Doubled Die Obverse cent. You should be able to see some doubling in the motto, as well as around the rim. Two different rims involved, one higher than the other.

That's definitely an off-center strike. The 1972 DD is on-center and has a complete rim. That, and there's no visible doubling on that one.

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread