Found this strange rock today.Dont know what it is.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver rock 11 008.JPG Silver rock 11 006.JPG Silver rock 11 005.JPG Silver rock 11 004.JPG Silver rock 11 003.JPG Thought I would swing the coil at home today and listen for silver tones and dig. Found 4 dimes and got another hit so I found this rock about 7 inches down.It has got white and green powder like substance on the outside that wont wash off but it will come off with my pocket knife like powder. Scraped it down below powder line to see what it looked like and it is silver looking as in pictures where I scraped it and this mineral or whatever it is seems to go clean through the rock.Magnet does not affect it and edge of hammer will dent it as I tried where I had exposed the silver looking material. It does ping when I hit it with a quarter.Not in pictures but with magnifying glass it has little crystals in the corners.Weighs over 2 lbs. Thanks. Silver rock 11 001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a leavitrite.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mad Machinist. The silver look in this rock seems to be most of what this rock is made of as the solid part goes all the way through it. Weighs 34 oz

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry, but i really believe you found a chunk of a lead ore, your weight, the white oxidation,(white powder),and being soft enough to dent, galeana is silver in apearence, just my opinion, great find was it associated wih a old site?take a side that has the silvery min exposed and scratch it against the back of a ceramic tile , if lead it will have a gray steak.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco oro, great idea I will try that. Will lead ore have a ping to it when hit with a quarter? Found this at home right outside my yard with my MD.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lead doesnt usualy have a metalic ring to it, but is always found with assoc mins that could,but as soft as it seems its probably pretty rich in lead, silver is rarly actualy (silver),even silver ores that are very rich,tend to be grayish,and in most cases closer to black, but galeana is silvery,and alot of times has a high silver content,lead, silver,zinc, and copper are very often found in association with each other in varying degrees , some will be rich in lead with a little zinc and small fraction of silver,or rich in zinc with a little copper and and a little lead and so on.very cool none the less!

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason i ask if found near old furnace , or if your area has any historical lead mining, is because at the top of your pic i see striations that look as if stamped or something, and if it rich enough that you can dent it, i may be reaching here but you may have found a lead ingot,or (pig), when lead ore was mined back in the day, they wouldnt travel far to reduce it to a purer state, and would smelt it down and pour it into crude holes or trenches to coolinto bars that could be transported to farther distances to be further refined into a cleaner lead, your pic has some pretty straight lines to it and with your desription of it i.e. soft ,heavy,white oxidation,you may have a historical lead ingot ,and that would be very cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco, one thing that puzzles me is I put a quarter a piece of lead and my rock on the ground and waived my md over the three items and the rock and quarter gave me the high pitch tone for silver type items, the lead gave me a low gruntle sound so different.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
galeana can have a high silver content ,in wythe county virginia , the austinville area, has historical lead mines , i will do a little digging to see if i can find if and what the silver content was, ill hit ya back soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions