Found this stuff today

littleton

Feb 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5
This is the third time Iv'e gone over a small empty lot on a 1800's property that I inherited. I got skunked on the coinage today but I dug this stuff. The vicks sign which is about a 1/16 thick - very heavy gauge. Then to the right a button I think may be navy military, I'm gonna try to enlarge the pic and repost it. Moving down- a whatsit that i posted in the whatizit forum. Then a small buckle that my wife identified as a "girdle hook" (for the record- my wife does not wear a girdle ... I may have to myself in the near future though ;D). A railroad spike and a couple recent Lincoln's.

I kinda feel overall skunked today but the thermometer was reading 100 degrees and I thing I was a little impatient too. I'm going to get A bigger coil for my md before i go back down there. Thanks for looking, Littleton

Attachments

• vicks sign & button.jpg
    vicks sign & button.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, looks like an old site for sure - I'd do it again and again and listen for the deep/faint targets. 1st I'd systematically remove all the junk, and everything I could find by running in coin mode, then relic mode and then all metal mode until ALL of the shallow/junk targets were all removed and then go for the deep ones while continuing to run in all metal mode. I'd lay $$ that there's some deep/old & good targets there - that square nail/spike & button tell the story of how old the site IS :)

R

RUDY2003

There will be some nice relics still there too.. Keep diggin'...
Keep safe...

B

BIG61AL

Military buttons are rare in this area. I would not say you got skunked at all.

OP
OP
littleton

littleton

Feb 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5
lonewolfe said:
Cool finds, looks like an old site for sure - I'd do it again and again and listen for the deep/faint targets. 1st I'd systematically remove all the junk, and everything I could find by running in coin mode, then relic mode and then all metal mode until ALL of the shallow/junk targets were all removed and then go for the deep ones while continuing to run in all metal mode. I'd lay $$ that there's some deep/old & good targets there - that square nail/spike & button tell the story of how old the site IS :)
Thanks for the tips Lonewolfe. That sounds like a good strategy which I'm definitely going to work on. If you look at some of my other posts you can see some of the other old relics I've found on this lot.

The reason I'm working the empty lot part of the property is because the recent trash factor seems to be low and everything I'm finding is old. According to my aunt who left the prop to me there was an old house that was blown down in a tornado back around 1925-30 and I think it was on this lot.

There are two other houses right next to it and I can hunt around one of them but I have a tenant in the other one and don't want to invade their space. The problem I'm having is that the house I am hunting around just received a new shingle roof and the roofers left thousands of old and new roofing nails and fasteners all the way around the immediate house - good signals every two inches if you know what I mean, I mowed the yard and got two flat tires on my mower... Very frustrating!

I went in the woods behind the houses where there is an ancient railroad track with 12 inch diam trees growing between the rails and my MD was going absolutely crazy everywhere I went , haven't figured that out yet either. The good news is that there is lots of yard area on the other half of the property around the occupied house that I haven't even touched yet!!! I'm saving that for for future hunting!

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now ;D Thanks for your advice. ~littleton

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Looking forward to seeing what else you find there.
Especially near the other house.

Happy hunting!

Ridley

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Keep looking; you will find some good stuff. It's nice to be the owner of a decent site; my own yard was very productive when I first started.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread