Found this today. Has me stumped.

Scott1246

Feb 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock about 16 inches down in the sand at the beach at low tide. I was about 50 yards off the regular coast line. I am using a Minelab 600 Equinox and it continuously showed a 10-11 on my screen. When I got home, I noticed there is absolutely no rust build up or any other buildup. The picture is exactly how I found in, minus the sand after brushing it off. It is heavy and magnets do not stick to it. No to mention it is very hard. I accidentally dropped on my concrete patio and nothing. No chips, fragments or any sign of the slightest damage. It is roughly the size of two golf balls. I honestly do not know what this might be. I am thinking of taking it to local college's geology department to see if they can identify it. Has anyone else come across something like this before?

pOVV524.jpg

Upvote 2

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet could be melted iron slag' Im sure some one will be able to help

OP
OP
S

Scott1246

Feb 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I just registered today. I have been following this website for quite some time now and figured I would throw myself into the fun with the rest of you here. Besides, I still have a lot to learn with metal detecting and this by far seems to be the best place to ask and learn. Anyway, as for the item, I thought the same thing, but wouldn't iron be magnetic? I was thinking more of petrified wood with maybe a nail or other metal object embedded in it causing my detector to locate it. Wasn't sure though and figured others might have the knowledge to help me identify it. :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anthracite coal or partially burned piece called a clinker. They make a lot of machines sound off when you run a coil over it. A tiny piece in a torch flame should burn quickly. Do it OUTSIDE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread