Found this today... SOLVED!!! 1798 sheldon 186 Thanks Don !!!

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Ok I figured out the scanner to take a better scan maybe someone can tweek it now to get the date. Picked up this old copper Im sure the first three numbers are 179 but the third number might be a 8 .the forth number can only be a 0 a 3 8 or a 9.I tryed to scan it ,the only thing coming out is the boston that is stamped in the coin and the bust and hair line ,If anyone can tweek the colors and make it clearer ,Please feel free to post a pic for me .there are bib differences in the value in those dates ,Ag maybe g4 i dont know
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,261
  • penny.JPG
    penny.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,508
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Re: Found this today... no digging 1799 ? large cent New pics Help!!!

heres another view

Attachments

• large cent.JPG
    large cent.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,013

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1798/7 Perhaps?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

BuckleBoy said:
1798/7 Perhaps?
Looks like it to me.

Attachments

• OC Date.jpg
    OC Date.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 939

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yes, there is an 8 there, but note the diagonal through it and the top line that appears to be a 7 originally.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Four of us :wink:

It's a 8, what is seen as a possible overdate does not exactly match the only possible variety of 1798/7 that it could be. There are 3 varieties, the first two the 8 touches the drapery, so that rules them out and the third variety the part of the 7 that shows is very small amount and would need a good condition date to tell, and I don't think that is possible on this coin.

A shame more details in the coin are not there, no reverse, no LIBERTY to compare and make certain ID, so, the only value I see in the coin is the beautiful countermark on it, THAT makes the coin a collectible, since the wear condition of the coin itself is not too good..........

Confused over your title, "no digging 1799" is the coin a metal detecting find from the ground or found otherwise?

Don

Attachments

• bradguycomparison.jpg
    bradguycomparison.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 845

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

could you use tin foil or do some kind of rub to make out the date? willy.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice find. Never seen one like that before

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Here is a picture of the reverse .Also the last number is what appears to be an 8 but there is also signs of another number there .The 8 has what looks like a broken 9 not a 7 .I wish i could take better photos .Maybe wishful thinking but the last numbr is not just an 8

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 705

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great counter-stamped!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i think its a 1798 1/2 cent
the 1793 1/2 cent the bust was looking to the left
the 1798 the bust was looking to the right

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

SUPER COIN. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Some people have asked if this is a dutg coin.It is not ,the coin was in a lot i purchased from an estate sale shop.The coins in the collection were great coins .The inventory list of the lot did include this coin .Its listed as a 1799 over 1798 counterstamp.This is why Im trying to figure if thats what it truly is .Holding the coin at a certian angle the last number appears to be an 8 but also has the widened end of the 9 on the bottom left .Going to take it to a coin shop and see if they can pick up what Im seeing wish me luck

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, I am sure I have a positive ID

The coin is not a 1799, it is not a 1798 over a 7, but it is a 1798 Large Cent! I asked for a photo of the Reverse, thinking it anything showed, it is always possible it could provide a positive clue on the attribution. Well, yesterday I overlooked the obvious, but this morning the feature that ID'd the coin was staring me in the face.

The coin is a 1798 Sheldon 186. Die State 1 most likely (hard to say for certain with the severe wear on the Obverse.)

What was the identifying featured, the huge die crack on the Reverse side! That makes it a diagnostic positive ID.

Here is what is said in Walter Breen's book on Large Cents: Reverse Side:::

Instantly identifiable by the die crack from rim to rim through the final 0, wreath, and ME

There are 10 known die states, with varying amounts of die crack and different locations, but like I said above, it is most certainly a Die State 1 without enough detail left to say any other die state.

I'm attaching a link to one, it is a later state die crack, but shows how the main original die crack matches........

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s186.jpg

Don

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT

Wow !!!
Don thanks for the positive ID. I appreciate the time and effort you put in to do this .Always very nice feelng, that I can always count on someone here on TN to help me out .And to all the others trying to figure it out ,A big thank you to you all
Happy hunting

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
About the countermark...

Brunk's Merchant amd Privately Countermarked Coins (2003) indicates that over 30 examples of this "BOSTON" mark have been documented. Attribution is uncertain, but Brunk suggests that the mark may be that of the Boston Type and Stereotype Foundry, 1817-1892 or later.

Most of the host coins are large cents or half cents, but the same countermark has also been seen on a dime, half dollar, British halfpenny, Spanish 2 reales, Mexican 8 reales, and Italian 5 lire. Only one previously reported host coin is dated prior to 1800, the 2 reales (1797); the most recent host coin is the half dollar (1875).

Hartzog's Countermarked Coins Price Guide (published as a supplement to Brunk's book) values "BOSTON" countermarks at $20-30.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
About the countermark...

Brunk's Merchant amd Privately Countermarked Coins (2003) indicates that over 30 examples of this "BOSTON" mark have been documented. Attribution is uncertain, but Brunk suggests that the mark may be that of the Boston Type and Stereotype Foundry, 1817-1892 or later.

Most of the host coins are large cents or half cents, but the same countermark has also been seen on a dime, half dollar, British halfpenny, Spanish 2 reales, Mexican 8 reales, and Italian 5 lire. Only one previously reported host coin is dated prior to 1800, the 2 reales (1797); the most recent host coin is the half dollar (1875).

Hartzog's Countermarked Coins Price Guide (published as a supplement to Brunk's book) values "BOSTON" countermarks at $20-30.

You beat me to it, just got the book yesterday. Hard to find!!! A bit disappointed in the lack of British listings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread