Found today: "Dietz"? Is this part of an old lantern? (caution: lots of pics)

S

skyrider

Found today: "Dietz"? Is this part of an old lantern? (caution: lots of pics)

Found this today...found in the same park as the shell casing shown in this topic:? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,7330.0.html

The only reference I've been able to find on the name Dietz is old lanterns...the set-screw found nearby leads me to think it could have indeed held a globe onto some sort of lamp or lantern.? The markings on the darker piece are "DIETZ? ? ?275".? These were found about 10" down...probably as old as the shell casing from my best guestimate.? (I've even been plotting age of items vs. depth buried on an Excel spreadsheet...I'm such a nerd...:-)? )

unknown3.jpg

unknown2.jpg

unknown4.jpg

screw1.jpg

screw2.jpg

screw3.jpg

Any ideas?? I didn't know whether I should put it in todays finds or What Is It?? I found it today and I don't know what it is!? Ha!? If a moderator feels it should be moved, please do.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Re: Found today: "Dietz"? Is this part of an old lantern? (caution: lots of pics)

Nothing nerdy about the Excel spreadsheet, anything that makes guessing what the next target may be can only help. I have an Excel spreadsheet that has all of my finds with values and comments about each along with a "break even" column that shows when I have paid for my detector with all of the finds. I'm always looking for a new column to geek up the spreadsheet a little more ;)

Dudes

OP
OP
S

skyrider

Re: Found today: "Dietz"? Is this part of an old lantern? (caution: lots of pics)

Yep...I think it helps to date unmarked objects if you make a reference chart like that -- if you assume there's a linear relationship between time and amount of material deposited.

No one has any ideas on these relics??? ????

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Bottom one looks like a Lock Pull from a cardoor

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dietz made a Hurricane lamp in the early 80's Item #275

D

Darod

Re: Found today: "Dietz"? Is this part of an old lantern? (caution: lots of pi

Skyrider,

I sent an email to Dietz,.....the company. Hopefully they will reply with some information to positively ID the items you've found.

Rod

OP
OP
S

skyrider

Hey, that's great!! That's very kind! Thank you!!!

D

Darod

OK,

Here is the reply I received today from a supoort person at Dietz:

The item in question looked like it might be a bracket for an automotive lamp, but I've checked the part number "275" and it doesn't match anything made by the R.E. Dietz Co..

Best Regards,
Woody Kirkman
www.dietzlanterns.com

Sorry it's not very helpful :-\

Rod

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
Dietz? constuction equipment?

I am not for sure on this one, but as soon as I read the word 'Dietz' I thought of diesel engines. I think there is a company called Dietz that makes auxilary diesel engines. Maybe this is part of some construction equipment. I dont know how old this company is though. It might be worth it to search....

Huizer.

OP
OP
S

skyrider

Darod said:
OK,

Here is the reply I received today from a supoort person at Dietz:

The item in question looked like it might be a bracket for an automotive lamp, but I've checked the part number "275" and it doesn't match anything made by the R.E. Dietz Co..

Best Regards,
Woody Kirkman
www.dietzlanterns.com

Sorry it's not very helpful? :-\

Rod

Hey, thanks for checking on that for me!? It's helpful...at least we know it may not be from their company.? :)

Thanks also to the others for help in identifying the parts...the silver piece looks like a thumbscrew -- same as you'd use today to attach a globe to a light fixture.? I've never seen any old vehicle door locks though, so it could just as easily be that as others have mentioned.

It rained a lot yesterday so will try to hit the park again this weekend if it dries up a little.? My friend and I will see what other pieces we can retrieve of this puzzle.? :)

Thanks again!

Hambone

Jan 4, 2005
Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sky Ryder

Seems I remember a company named Dietz that made paint spray guns for automotive and industrial painting. The picture with the part with the nurled end on it looks a lot like the air pressure adjustment knob on a spray gun. HH
Hambone

Old Prospector

Feb 17, 2005

:-\ the shinny item looks like the winding stem from a watch, maybe a pocket watch. Your comment
about it looking like a screw on item makes me think of the winding stem. The name Dietz does not
mean anything to me, but the size of the object (it looks small) sort of leaves out radiator cap of a car.
Good luck with a final determination.
Old Prospector

mudd1242

Greenie
Feb 17, 2005
Charleston, WV
Detector(s) used
MXT, Troy Shadow, Gemni Three

Dietz is the name of a brand of lights made for trucks, autos, off road vehicles and etc. This looks to be a tail light/brake light combo. Call and auto parts store such as NAPA and ask them if 275 is a good number for a Dietz light. If you do not find out anything at the first store pick another and call them. Hope this has been some help. Post what you find out. Thanks and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread