found today.. possible 18th century date stamp

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if anyone can offer any information on this piece I thank you in advance. there is a circular stamp on the bottom of the bottle that appears to be 1715 or 1775 trying to clean carefully to read.

ForumRunner_20120613_220640.png

trying to get a photo of it now

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope these help.... feels like my eyes are playing tricks on me

ForumRunner_20120613_222249.png

ForumRunner_20120613_222441.png

hope these helped

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice rare broke. Is it amber? IF this was an attic quality piece in amber, or even clear, it may have pushed a grand or so not too long ago. This general design (not the floral panels) with the bulbous (toroidal) protrusion in the neck is a design specific to the great Lake's Indian Specific bottle (Syracuse, NY) and many plain aqua pieces of unmistakable similarity (Harry has a nice embossed example) Many pontiled plain aquas of this design were seen in the Great Wilmington Bottle Hoard of 2010. But these even plain cannot be considered too common, nor too rare. My visceral guess is that these all came from a NY, VT or NJ glasshouse. Nobody knows for sure, but that is just a guess also. Always learning, please post a pic of that bottle in a window, natural sunlight. That is a nice one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do...thanks alot! Will post in a.m.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this Great Wilmington Bottle Hoard of 2010 that you speak of?
Killer bottle, by the way!
Carl

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question..and thanks. Im in florida by the way

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The Great Wilmington Bottle Hoard of 2010 will be burned into my bottle diggin brain for life. I coined the term for the great discovery. It was posted here by the Wilmington Bottle Boys (I think that is right), this was a Tnet user, I think they are still around on Tnet, always posted good stuff. Anyway, they got a lead on a good site from a homeless man, found it, got permission, dug it and holy crap they found a bonanza of good glass. But as usual, the story hit the crapper, people wanted to know what they did for the homeless guy. Well, they gave the homeless guy a fair cut but that was not good enough. The post went south quick and the poster pulled the post, and I dont blame him. It was just an awesome rarely seen hoard of good glass. I know you must remember that one Carl. Think back, you must remember. They pulled hundreds of goods out of the basement of an old medicine/doctor/pharm shop somewhere in Wilmington, a truly rare and thrilling discovery. It was awesome. They set up all the pieces in the driveway and it looked like a forest of bottles, hundreds, I think into the thousand range, many rare nice pieces. Tens of the aqua plain ones similar to the one shown on this thread, all pontiled. A lot of the stuff was pontiled. A few big rare pontiled gallon black glass bottles, truly rare cache not to be seen again any time soon.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are a few better photos. I don't think I said earlier it's clear. sound in a muddy area with musket balls and flint. and a three ringer that looks like it was made yesterday. can someone please explain to me how to keep the glass from oxidizing and getting that rainbow metallic flake

ForumRunner_20120614_073944.png

ForumRunner_20120614_074022.png

ForumRunner_20120614_074103.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thanks a lot for that... found this with it.

ForumRunner_20120614_081122.png

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
This bottle appears on pp. 400-401 in Illustration 111 of the McKearin-Wilson book, AMERICAN BOTTLES & FLASKS AND THEIR ANCESTRY. The illustration is entitled, "Rare Colored Figured Cologne Bottles ca. 1830-60s.

This bottle (number 8 in the illustration) is described as "cold blue" with a capacity of six ounces and a height of seven inches.

It is extraordinary to find a bottle like this in Florida (even broken) because Florida was still frontier territory at that time. Good find!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you sir. thank you very much for pinpointing exactly where I can read about this bottle. I love how a site offers up fragments of the story piece by piece.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey beachcomber that site is great thank you

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Great Wilmington Bottle Hoard of 2010 will be burned into my bottle diggin brain for life. I coined the term for the great discovery. It was posted here by the Wilmington Bottle Boys (I think that is right), this was a Tnet user, I think they are still around on Tnet, always posted good stuff. Anyway, they got a lead on a good site from a homeless man, found it, got permission, dug it and holy crap they found a bonanza of good glass. But as usual, the story hit the crapper, people wanted to know what they did for the homeless guy. Well, they gave the homeless guy a fair cut but that was not good enough. The post went south quick and the poster pulled the post, and I dont blame him. It was just an awesome rarely seen hoard of good glass. I know you must remember that one Carl. Think back, you must remember. They pulled hundreds of goods out of the basement of an old medicine/doctor/pharm shop somewhere in Wilmington, a truly rare and thrilling discovery. It was awesome. They set up all the pieces in the driveway and it looked like a forest of bottles, hundreds, I think into the thousand range, many rare nice pieces. Tens of the aqua plain ones similar to the one shown on this thread, all pontiled. A lot of the stuff was pontiled. A few big rare pontiled gallon black glass bottles, truly rare cache not to be seen again any time soon.

I do remember it now that you mentioned the story.
it's still posted on the Antiques Bottle Forum site, and I swear an abridged form was in some magazine.
It even had a bunch of crazy wooden side plates to various establishments.
Carl

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know right... that's been my luck lately. look found this last week

ForumRunner_20120624_182000.png

Top Member Reactions