found token need help

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
Hi all, this is a first for me, I found a token out in the water in lake erie and it says on one side C and H Quality Bakery and on the other side it says Good for one loaf of bread. Anything you could tell me about it would be appreciated, is it worth anything? thanks frogsmile. sorry I don't have a camera so i can't post pictures.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't find it listed in any of the "maverick" references I have. What town was close? That would be the best place to start researching. Bakery tokens like this were used in various ways, but the most common was where the bakery would sell a "baker's dozen" (13) loaves of bread for the price of 12. Of course the consumer wouldn't want them all at once, so the bakery would give them tokens for future purchases. Then a child could be sent to the bakery with a token in hand and there would be no worry about the kid stopping at the candy store and spending the money there. Or, where the bakery delivered, the proper amount of tokens could be left on the back porch for the deliveryman who would leave the requested number of loaves. All of this was popular in the 1910-30 era. When the bakery closed, the tokens were possibly disposed of by throwing them far out into the lake. Over time, this one migrated closer in.

John in ID

OP
OP
frogsmile

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
Thanks John, the closest towns would be Port Clinton or marble head, I found it on catawba Island that is a peninsula between port clinton and marble head, Ohio. I have tried to research tokens but am not having much luck, I thought somebody on this sight might have more knowledge about them. frogsmile ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread