Found two mini time capsules. No really. UPDATED

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
Spent a couple more hours this evening in the peanut field. Me and about 10,000 seagulls that figured out there were some left over peanuts to eat. Notice all the broken glass, rock and brick in the for ground. If you save the pic and blow it up its clearer.

index.php

Any way to get on with it out of all the 100s of shell casing Ive found at this place to day I find these two about 75 feet apart. and not in the same row. First one of the is made of two shell casings a 38 and 32 S&W Both shell casings date to early 1900s. I didn't think much off it at first just two shells jammed together.

index.php

So I put it in my pocket and go on hunting making some other finds I will show coming up. Then just at dark I'm digging my last couple targets and I get this a all brass shotgun shell thats been damaged by the farm equipment. And it to is jammed together with another casing. I'm thinking to my self what the heck. Two like this in two hours. By now its to dark to see anymore so I take off home. I get back in the light at home and I realize that they were using the shell casings for storage when I see theres sill wooden matches inside the shotgun shell through the crack. These would of rotted away long ago if not sealed till recently broken by the farm equipment.

index.php

Should I damage the shell further by tearing it open or just let it be. I cant hear anything but the matches moving in side but it seems a little to heavy. And theres no dirt coming out of it so I don't think the extra weight is sand. As for the small one I don't hear anything moving inside but you got to wonder after seeing the other one. My other finds for the evening were this 1926 political token from A.F, Knotts run for the House Of Rep. He lost. He also founded the town of Yankee Town in southen Levy county.

index.php

I also found a large iron pad lock and a large brass butterfly broach. and a few buttons, etc.

index.php

Thanks for looking. HH

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found two mini time capsules. No really.

10000 seagulls! I hope you wore a rain coat. ;D I'd open the shell casing the rest of the way, since it's already damaged pretty bad. What harm could it do? At least you would know what was in there. Nice finds.

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting finds. As for "to open or not to open, that is the question" I'd leave the thing alone. Would he put gold inside with matches? NAH. Probably two guys who worked together and decided to make themselves some cheap waterproof match holders with their spent shell casings. Personally, and I'm not trying to TELL you what to do, just giving my OPINION, I'd leave them alone. There will be much more enjoyment from speculation and conversation--THINKING about what could be inside--rather than anything that could actually be inside. Unless it contains a......

OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used

I might try a couple drops of penetrating oil and see if the cap loosens up. I figure is just matches. The other ones to small for matches so what if anythings in it. Hmmmmmmmm. I think I will sleep on it.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it were me I would open the damaged shotgun shell casings for sure. Also, I would go with your idea and try to gently open the rifle shells with penetrating oil but if the oil did not work I would not force them.

BobG

Oct 28, 2005

Oh sure, don't damage them by trying to open them.

That's bull. The curiosity is killing me. Get into those things and be quick about it :D

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sure looks like a big field to detect !

nice finds, i'd pry open the casing -- :D Nice handful of old relics too...hh/ns

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II

Nice finds-got my imagination going!
What could be placed in the small shells?

Hope you can figure out whats in them,
Salvager

OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
OK there open. I had to know. The penetrating oil worked and they came right apart.

14 wooden maches

index.php

Sand. thank goodness he kept that safely preserved from all that other sand. ::)

index.php

Oh well still going to be a neat part of my collection of Fl. folk live artifacts and supplied me with some fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread